Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Pet Peeve Peavey (GPS 3500)
Pet Peeve Peavey (GPS 3500)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2018, 03:00 PM   #141
Peter S is offline Peter S  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Indianajo;
I don't see any B - C caps on drivers for versions A, B, or C. All have 39 pf caps, B - C, on the pre-drivers (last devices on the driver boards). Is this what you are referring to? I wish I knew where I found this, but here is another version of the series A schematic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 129563_peavey-peavey-cs-800-diagrama-pdf.jpg (403.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 14th January 2018, 03:22 PM   #142
Peter S is offline Peter S  Canada
diyAudio Member

This amp may be about a pound lighter after the overhaul;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dusty.jpg (19.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 15th January 2018, 04:20 PM   #143
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, the 39 pf on the predrivers is what I'm talking about as slew rate supressors. If you have one of those, buying special high Ft driver transistors in TO3 may be unnecessary as the driver circuit doesn't have it.
A high freq IM distortion test, or a slew rate test with scope on square waves would tell you if the driver circuit has the high freq capability. I don't have the instruments for that, but I can hear the presence or lack of high freq accuracy with a couple of test records. Peter Nero Young & Warm & Wonderful, when I Fall in Love track has top octave solo Steinway piano. And Martin Denny Hawaii album has a couple of tracks with exotic high freq percussion instruments. The Peavey CS800s can do those, it has no bc capacitors and fast MJ15020/21 driver transistors. One channel of the dynaco ST120 with the original TO5 driver transistors can to the high frequencies; one channel that I replaced with an AX6 board with TIP41c/42c driver transistors can't. I think the 3 mhz Ft drivers on the AX6 board are the speed limit, but both the fast 2SC/2SA transistors I bought to replace them came in F packages with no heat sink. **** ****ese copies from MCM and digikey, were advertised as Toshiba parts with a link to the Toshiba datasheet in digikey's case. Liars.
A cs800 a or b could be as hifi as you want with different driver boards. A lot of the boards discussed on solid state forum have built in TO3p locations along one edge, but you can probably use remote transistors on the Cs800 heat sink with wires over there. I did that on the AX6 board, no oscillation. Don't run the base drive wires and the temp sense wires to predrivers parallel, keep them as far away as possible, was my formula for no oscillation.
For preventing dirt buildup in future, put a fiber mesh filter in front of the fan. I do that now, the fans on the ST120 heat sink cause a lot of dust on the metal in only a year without. You can cut up a home store filter, or mcmaster sells rolls of the fiilter stuff with adhesive on the mesh for better dust trapping. Tie wraps through the finger guard grill hold the filter on. Looks like ****, but then so does that very used Peavey amp before the washing. We used to steam clean boards that came out of the refrigerator factory that came in looking like that. The repair and re-deploy them.

Last edited by indianajo; 15th January 2018 at 04:27 PM.

Pet Peeve Peavey (GPS 3500)Hide this!Advertise here!