Input transformer for Shure M63

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a Shure M63 Audiomaster for cheap that has a Baxandall type EQ control. I'm using it with bass recorded direct from the line out of a mike pre that has an instrument low-z input.

Stock it has a high impedance 50k line input. I'm using the 600 ohm balanced output to my mixing board/audio interface. I'd like to add a balanced input. Could I use a 1:1 bridging line input transformer like the Jensen JT-11P-1 / Edcor WSM-11k-11k or should I be using a bridging transformer with a different turns ratio?

Here's the manual for the M63 with the relevant technical data-

http://cdn.shure.com/user_guide/upload/982/us_pro_m63_ug.pdf
(schematic on last page of pdf)

could you clear up why you want to send a recorded bass track through the M63 then into your other mixer? that's two mixers or two gain stages, as long as the noise floor remains low i guess there would be no problem.
other then level of operation the M63 has balanced input i would run your recorded bass track through a 20 db pad and into any of the four mic inputs or buy the Art DI and just send it to your main mixer. is there a problem with the high/line level inputs on the Shure?

Use a 10K to 10K transformer. Place a 12K resistor inside to properly terminate it, or if you have a square wave generator and oscilloscope you can use an RC network for the termination. Start with the resistor and change the series capacitor to get the best square wave response.

No need to get a premium transformer. But even with a cheapie pick one rated for 100mW or more.

Try a Triad TY141P

Last edited:
The M63 is different than the M67. The M67 is a mic mixer/preamp with 4 balanced microphone inputs. The M63 has high impedance line input and is basically an EQ box. My chain while recording would be bass > direct input on mike preamp > M63 > line in on mixer > DAW
or to process sounds I've already recorded
DAW line out > M63 > line in on mixer > DAW

The mixer I have doubles as an audio interface (it has firewire out). I use the line ins to my DAW.

Thanks for the transformer tip!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.