Bass amp with Audiopower DPA-600/F (sad story)

Hi,
in December 2015 I bought a class D module "DPA-600/F" from Audiopower (Audio Power | Professional Audio Equipment) to build my own amp bass (I'm a bassist and a diy-er) and have a light amp to carry for my gig.
I equipped this amp with a simple preamplifier (no tone controls, my bass is active) that I built time ago using an OPA2132 (non-inverting configuration).
Since the DPA-600 provided onboard power (+/- 15V, 250 mA) for external boards I used those outputs to power the preamp.
Everything has worked very well till March 2016 when suddenly the DPA-600 went into protection and some smoke got out from the case.
Then I contacted Audiopower and sent the DPA-600 to be fixed: one of the voltage stabilizer broke down due to my preamp, they told me.
It was strange for me since the preamp is really simple and I've used it in other projects without problems but I took their advice to disconnect the preamp from the DPA..and so I did (the repairing costed me 50 Euro, anyway).
I built then a separated power supply and everything has worked well till last december when after 10 minutes of playing (on a gig) it went into protection and after a few secs turned off dead !!
Fortunately the bassist of the other band (we were two bands) gave me his amp head so I was able to continue the gig.
The loudspeaker was the same for us bassists (1x15", it was mine loudspeaker) so I can exclude that the cause of the DPA-600 fault was the loudspeaker.
In December, 21 I contacted Audiopower support through email but I've got no reply.
I thought that maybe they were closed for XMas holidays so I wrote them again last Jan, 11 but I've got no reply so far.
Ok...I'm not certainly a big customer but I don't like to waste my money (210 Euro, including the repairing), the most irritating thing is not to get any reply from them.
So I had to buy a new amp (a TC Electronic BH800) since I have several gigs in the next weeks and I had no other amp.
I will wait for their reply for a few days more and then, if I won't have any contact from them, I will decide what to do.
How can I say? It's really a pity.
Regards,

Roberto

Last edited:
Well...you won't believe it but today I've received their reply...they have problems with their provider internet that blocked their email address "support" and "sales" where I sent my messages.
So maybe there will be a "happy ending"...I will let you know.
Regards,

Roberto

Good morning,
I have the same problem as you with audiopower.
I sent 2 amplifiers (1 MDA400 and 1 DPA 600) learned on September 19, 2016.
Stefania promised me a repair in eight days.
We are January 14, 2017 I received full of promises and lies from Stefania and Roberto PUPELLA but I still do not have my amps.
Monday by a formal notice to do with registration to the competent court of my country.
If not answered by them will be prosecuted before the judge.
Good luck and good luck to recover your DPA 600.
expect multiple apologies and promises to be just lies ...........

4 years passed, the last reply I had from them was several weeks later that they were moving to a new location so they were busy with that.
My amp was repaired and ready to be sent back, they would have had notified me the delivery but as you can imagine I received no notification.
In the meantime the site went offline, they disappeared, their phone number resulted unknown...in a few words they closed the company.
I went to the police (online crime dep.) but they told me that it would have been very difficult to recover my amp so, at that point, I gave up.
Regards,

Roberto

Yes it is...I also found the Company location (they were based in Sicily) but the phone number is no longer active and the Company is not there anymore.
They surely closed but I wonder what the people who worked there are doing, especially the owner and his "right-hand".
There are some past posts in an italian forum of diyers where Audiopower was criticized and the owner intimidated those people telling them to look for a good lawyer !
I think he had to look for a good lawyer...

Roberto

This is a really sad story. Obviously you were tricked by a black sheep. For me Italy is loudspeaker-land (RCF, 18-sound, B&C, Sica...). For decades now. I used IREL (long time gone) during the eighties and now some Neodyme drivers from B&C. Recently I built a small accu powered bass cube with B&C 10HPL64. A TPA3255 power-Module that provides +-12V/100mA on board and a basic pre-amp with volume and tone control.

Attachments

• grass_IMG_20210508_165935732.jpg
    grass_IMG_20210508_165935732.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 2021_03_16_3D_bottom.png
    2021_03_16_3D_bottom.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 86
  • TPA32xxPBTL_LiIon_3D.png
    TPA32xxPBTL_LiIon_3D.png
    223.7 KB · Views: 77
Very nice job !
I live not so far from B&C factory, I used one of their 15PZB40 @ 4 ohm for a bass guitar loudspeaker that, after some years, I replaced with an Eminence 3015LF.
Consider also 18Sound speakers, I'm using a 6ND410 as midrange (in that loudspeaker) and it's really a beast !
Regards,

Roberto

Thy may be legitimately gone now - not everything is going to recover from the pandemic. If the company was struggling before, they would have been hit hard. I’m surprised we didn’t see more disruption in the supply chain from the likes of B&C - the distributors in the states didn’t seem to have much trouble keeping them in stock. I’m still having difficulty getting PRV drivers that have been designed into an unfinished project.... I’ll probably just have to mismatch the cabs, with half of them loaded with the original Eminence drivers from the previous version.