Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Marshall VS30R
Marshall VS30R
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2017, 09:58 PM   #1
PanagiotisPapadakos is offline PanagiotisPapadakos  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default Marshall VS30R

Hi everybody,

I have resurrected from the dead my old VS30R marshall amp and I am wondering if anyone has made any modifications to it. I've googled a bit but I have found nothing!

So has anybody played with it and can make any suggestions?

Regards
Panagiotis
Old 11th January 2017, 03:20 PM   #2
AquaTarkus is offline AquaTarkus  Canada
diyAudio Member

You don't often see mods for valvestate amps, and I've not seen schematics for the VS30R. One thing worth doing is to replace the cheap 12AX7 with something better. Either NOS or the resurrected Mullard brand would be recommended.

Sent from my LG G2 with CM13 using Tapatalk
Old 11th January 2017, 03:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTarkus View Post
You don't often see mods for valvestate amps, and I've not seen schematics for the VS30R. One thing worth doing is to replace the cheap 12AX7 with something better. Either NOS or the resurrected Mullard brand would be recommended.

Hi AquaTarkus

Schematics are available at http://www.drtube.com/schematics/mar...vs30-60-02.pdf

This is a solid state amp.
Old 11th January 2017, 05:58 PM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Ask it the other way. tell us how you would want the amp to change or tell us how it lacks something and then someone may have suggestions on how to accomplish that.
Old 11th January 2017, 11:11 PM   #5
AquaTarkus is offline AquaTarkus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Most Marshall VS (ie ValveStste) amps actually contain a valve :-) As this one is pure SS, the score for mods is greatly reduced. You could maybe try dealing in lower noise opamps or audiophile caps (maybe bigger filter caps), but the improvement in sound would probably be quite small. Probably, a better speaker would give you the most noticeable improvement

Old 12th January 2017, 01:23 AM   #6
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

This^^^

Absolutely nothing has more effect on sound than the choice of speaker. Try as many as you can.
Old 12th January 2017, 10:36 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

@Enzo
Well, I am searching for mods like how to reduce the hum in the reverb, improve PSU, etc, i.e. the internals of the amp.

@AquaTarkus
I search a bit about the opamps but I did not found any alternative for the TDA2050
Caps are also in my upgrade list since they are now almost 20 years old...
Old 12th January 2017, 11:34 AM   #8
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have often had C20/21 low value but that is all. The reverb hum is inherent in the layout due to earth/ground loops/poor screening on the reverb return line unless someone has changed the tank and used the wrong impedance output coil.
The ICs used don't suffer from hum issues so even if the +-v supply to them is very noisy, you will not get any hum.
Your note about modification _ it's a Marshall, what do you expect! The TDA2050 is ideally left alone.

Marshall VS30RHide this!Advertise here!