Vintage style Tube mic pre want to build help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to build a vintage style tube mic preamp for a home studio. I'm a bluegrass fiddle player and I have always loved the tone of the fiddles and string sections of those records from the 40's and 50's. many of those records were recorded in radio stations and small studios yet they still sounded great. I'm wanting to reproduce that big warm sound on my own recordings. To help with the sound I'm looking for I'm using ribbon mics and tube mics.
I have some basic knowledge of what it takes to build a project yet I'm new to this. My experience so far with tube equipment is that I've rebuilt the amp in my vintage HiFi. With the schematics and the amp in front of me I could figure things out. For the most part I can read schematics but can't tell on some that I've looked at if it incorporates everything from input all the way to the power supply. This will be a from scratch build and point to point, no pcb.
So what I'm needing help with are recommendations for a diy mic pre that will help reproduce the big tone that I'm looking for, and I need a complete schematic or at least some guidance on where to add and incorporate power supplies and such into schematics that don't have it in it. I would like to be able to adjust the gain and for it to be balanced input and output.
I appreciate any guidance on what to get started with.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> those 1940's and 50's tones

I think the Gyraf is "too good".

Look at older designs with just two triodes and big iron.

However a LOT of the "old sound" was crappy mikes (by modern standards) and Good Ears selecting the best balance of mike response and room sound. The listening skills of the old-time engineers amaze me.

Ok thanks. I've been looking over the RCA OP-6 and the RCA BA2C. I've also been reading about the RCA 76 console that was used at Sun Records to record those first Rock-n-roll records. That same kind of console would have been used in many of the radio stations and recording studios where some of my favorite bluegrass bands cut there first recordings. The tones were still great. Looking at its schematic the pre section of that console only has one tube but I think the tape machine would have been hooked up to either the program amplifier which consisted of another 6 tubes or to some sort of recording amplifier.
Seeing that I'm wondering if I should build a small preamp, then add another piece of tube equipment such as a limiting amplifier in the chain, and then plug into my recording interface?

Transformers, please help. Need info and such

I'm looking to build a vintage style tube microphone pre. I'm settling on a couple of different RCA schematics but I'm having a little trouble figuring where to source the transformers. I have been going through eBay and a variety of other places but don't know exactly what to get. I would love to stay with vintage parts but I'm ok with going with new transformers. Since these are such a big expense I need some help in figuring out what to get so I don't waste money on something that's not needed. I'm searching for the input, output, and power transformers. Could someone please help explain to me what I need or can substitute in its place preferably with a model number and a possible place to buy it. Thanks for all of your help. I'm attaching the schematics that I'm looking at building.

Attachments

• IMG_2346.jpg
    IMG_2346.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2335.JPG
    IMG_2335.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 175
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
As the old RCA preamps are sought after these days, the transformers will be difficult to obtain or quite expensive if someone wants to part with them. You may have better luck finding other brands such Altec, Hammond, Shure, etc. In which case, you may have to modify the schematic. Of course, they are many modern alternatives such as Jensen, Lundahl, CineMag that can do the job perfectly well, the only thing missing is the vintage factor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.