6x9 instrument speakers almost extinct

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like v47 is the only supplier now. Weber said cant get the frames.
V47 Speakers

Is the Boss BRS69 maybe useable? Has it been tested in instrument amp?
BRS69 - Boss Audio Systems

Its for a new design, a compact reverb valve hybrid-D head.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 521
Last edited by a moderator:
No, forget it:
* thick cone
* Large heavy voice coil
*******Polypropylene cone
* non ribbed cone
***** whizzer "passive tweeter" cone

what you need, if you find a working one, is an old dashboard or back seat 6x9" speaker, pulled from a late 60´s or early 70´s Ford Fairlane or similar age and build car, which only had an AM radio.

I made several guitar amps using car stereo speakers in the mid to late 90's. All of them were tube amps, most were SE designs based on the Fender Champ, some with up to 15 watts using a KT88. The results were mixed. The old Jensen speakers with the blue foam surround sounded pretty good, but didn't live long. Some of the Audiovox two ways worked good and took everything I threw at them.

The amps that came later, around 2000, didn't have much "guitar amp" character. Car speakers had morphed into what they are today, huge magnets, heavy cones, lower efficiency, and blah sound. Of course you will never blow one since they are made to withstand the onslaught of the multi jiggowatt car amps playing bass heavy thumpa - thumpa music.

I haven't tried a car speaker in a guitar amp in years, but I can imagine that they have only gotten worse.

I don't know what size box you are looking at, but I made a cabinet for smallish guitar amps, two of them actually. They use these drivers from PE:

Dayton Audio PA165-8 6" PA Driver Speaker

Each box has a pair of the 6 inch speakers wired in parallel for a 4 ohm load. This will extract maximum power from the TPA3116. I have them in a 1.2 cubic foot box with a 2 inch by 3 inch square port (no tube or duct) This gives a reasonably flat response down to 80 Hz or so. I added a horn tweeter on a switch. It's turned off for cranked distorted guitar, but on for keyboards because it adds realism to a digital piano. These cabinets have survived some serious torture from a 100+ watt tube head feeding both cabinets, no issues.

I don't have any decent pictures, but one of them is seen here during the development of a $50 2 watt amp head.

Attachments

• alive3_x.jpg
    alive3_x.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 380
here is pic of form factor im going for.
traynor heads, clean simple. i use speakon jack on rear , unplug internal speaker if using external stack.

those Nd 4x10 car ovals l have to try.

its a hunch i have on resonant behavior of circular speakers.

-

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 228
I used a pair of the factory 4" x 6" speakers from my 97 ford F150 to make a small practice amp and they sound great - the 'head' is the amp from a pair of computer speakers and a zoom g1xon for effects.

Yep I suspect they sound 'better' no standing wave from round.

I just noticed this is available in Nd 4 ohm no wizzer !

Perfect for tpa311x but have to power limit.

The hybrid stealth speaker head is saved.

-

Attachments

• Nd-no-wizzer-4ohm.jpg
    Nd-no-wizzer-4ohm.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 160
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.