Tubed-out guitar affects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone, (i posted this in Musical Instruments, but i figured there were more tube nuts here.. so if it's ok, I'm goin to re-post here since i dint get any answers over there)
Yesterday I got a tube distortion box from my friend to borrow for a while, well.. it wasnt working and i told him i'd fix it.. so i took it home, found a few loose wires.. etc. and fixed it. I really like the sound of it- it has a nice warm distortion sound with alot of tone, somthing i cant get with the SS effects in my Crate head. Anyone know of some designs(or want to come uip with some) i could use to make one? I'd like to use an off-the-shelf transformer.. and no chips.. there's an easy looking design on www.generalguitargadgets.com , but it uses a JRC4558 chip.. i have the feeling that does more work than the tube. The one on that sight uses a regular old 12V transformer.. so it would be nice if i could use somthing similar. Thanks.

Hi
What tube do You want to use? 12AX7 and alike dont work that good below 180v plate voltage, but ecc 88 is usable from around 24v, several "miniature tubes" were designed for low plate voltage, hard to find but good and easy tu use.
I´ll dig through mi schematics piles and post some sugestions.
With the lifespan of computers today i never know what´s saved where, have to set up a schematics/drawings sever soon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.