Best Sounding FET for preamp input stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The lowest octave on most stringed musical instruments is mostly harmonics, with very little fundamental.

FWIW most desired Bass amp in the World, most seen on Stadium filling Rock acts is Ampeg SVT.

Its output shakes air using the famous "Ampeg Fridge" , 8 x 10" speakers cramped in 4 individual sub baffles, 2 in each, which are too small for their size and *closed* , NOT tuned at all.
Thiele and Small would have a heart attack if they had to build and test one of them.

Here´s the one you see on stage with everybody from the Stones to Kiss to Van Halen to you_name_it:
img_0809-jpg.265298

same cabinet half open to show the internal shelves separating them into 4 relatively small 2 x 10" ones:
new-cab-pic-jpg.691270

my Son and Daughter in front of 2 Ampeg Fridges, out of 4 total, driven by 2 FAHEY preamps into a QSC900 and an AB 1500 power amps, for 2400W RMS into 32 x 10" speakers of gut wrenching Bass sound.
729418154_e462126021_z.jpg

Onstage at Buenos Aires River Plate Football Stadium, seating 48000 headbangers to see our major Rock band "La Renga" .

Now the Million Dollar question: how does that massive, brutal cabinet sound?.

Hold on to something:
8xAplha10sealed.gif

mind you, this is an *improved* cabinet filled with higher quality Eminence Alpha drivers, the originals were mid priced Eminence.

As you see, output drops markedly under 100 Hz.

Last edited:
FWIW most desired Bass amp in the World, most seen on Stadium filling Rock acts is Ampeg SVT. Its output shakes air using the famous "Ampeg Fridge" , 8 x 10" speakers cramped in 4 individual sub baffles, 2 in each, which are too small for their size and *closed* , NOT tuned at all. Now the Million Dollar question: how does that massive, brutal cabinet sound?. Hold on to something:
8xAplha10sealed.gif

mind you, this is an *improved* cabinet filled with higher quality Eminence Alpha drivers, the originals were mid priced Eminence.
As you see, output drops markedly under 100 Hz.
Yes, a nice smooth rolloff below 100 Hz! So nice that it doesn't need any additional help from poorly designed electronics! Which the Ampeg SVT does NOT have, but my Peavy Basic 50 surely does! The response curve you have shown also has a REMARKABLY FLAT response from 100 to ~12K Hz.So remarkable, in fact, that it is UNBELIEVABLE!! Much MUCH flatter than the manufacturer's published curve for the Eminence Alpha 10A speaker.

Using JFET's

Not sure if it is even relevant to the discussion, but I had a SS Vox Super Beatle that sounded pretty bad (SS'ey, so to speak) and I took it all apart when my wife was out of town back in the late 70's, replaced the input transistor with a JFET and used that amp, which sounded much better, until the mid-80's, with a home-made cabinet with an EV-15 in it instead of the Vox 4x12. I'll have to dig into my storage and see if I can find that preamp (I separated the preamp and power amp sections later) and see what it sounds like today. I've had 20 or 30 high-end tube amps since those days so I am real aware of the differences between tube and SS for the most part, although my Pritchard Sword of Satori (all SS) sounds, feels, and reacts like a great tube amp.
I also have a plethora of 4558 op-amps and like to build preamps and pedals and such, although I haven't built shite lately...too much into reading sci-fi and playing through what I have, although I fixed an old Aria DS-10 distortion pedal the other day that actually sounds good through my Marshall... Whoever had it before me was a glob-solderer... I took electronics in college so I could build my own amps and pedals but got sidetracked, somehow, and a slave to catalogs with pretty pictures and glowing descriptions of god-tone... No more
Mike

Because you went over to a Jfet. I do think they sound a bit more realer, but again look at the trusty NE5532 it's BJ input and it sounds a lot more real and Hi-fi to me vs the 4558 designed to be so anyways correct? BJT end sounding more aggressive though to me sorta more non-linear and not replicating things more kinda how JFET's are it's more like it's still replicating or trying to in a realer liner fashion.

Last edited:
As I posted in another thread, I have learned that Quilter changed over to OPA1654s in their "SteelAire" amplifiers (which also use their own Class-D power section). They state an 8 db improvement in overall noise over their previous design using TL074s. That is surely significant! Datasheet specification comparisons between the 1654 and 072 show a 12db noise improvement, as well as 36 db less THD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.