Guitar basics on the internet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right, I finaly went out and bought my first instrument today after my birthday and I was basicaly wondering if anyone knows of any free resources out on the web to teach you the real basics (like chords, finger placement and stuff like that) so I can have a bit of a practice before I head allong to my first lesson.

If people do know of anything, or have any of their own personal tips it would be great if you could let me know, as this is the first time I have tried to play anything before (appart from some very basic keyboard stuff in school music class).

andrew

Guiter basics

Try "Total Guitar" magazine. They have "bluffer's guides and a good all round(well rectangular!) mag that comes with a cd of the tunes tabbed in each issue. I have years of these stacked up and one day , I'll finish them( Hi, my name's Lee, and I'm a Gearaholic).
Good luck with the blisters, but play on.

Lee

P.S.
It's all just 3 chords and an attitude!
Quote by some git

Your not really in the right forum, but there is
loads of stuff on the internet, especially for guitar.

(This forum is more about fixing / modifying instruments
and amplifiers, being able to play is not necessary !)

search for " free guitar lessons", note that you'll
have to look at 30 or so sites to find a decent one,
and then you need to find a decent one suited to
the sort of stuff you wan't play.

also searching for "guitar tuning" may help.

also checkout harmonycentral.com, especially
its tablature resources for guitar. Also a good
place to ask your general questions.

When starting, for some its easier to use tab of
your favourite songs (pick easy ones) than the
more dour simplified guitar lessons songs.

Look for OLGA , the Online guitar archive for tab.

:) sreten.

cheres guys, id did have bit of a search around by myelf on google in the end, and after a lot of rather useless sites, I cam accross the one offered by acousticguitar.com which have several online tutorials, including a one very suitable for beginers like me.

The only problem I have now is that my fingers realy hurt, and I can't place my fingers properly, as it hurts too much to press down on the strings to stop them buzzing on the frets. DOH!

:bawling:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/lessons/first_chords/1.shtml

Calluses...

bigparsnip,

Don't worry, the calluses come fast depending on the amount of time that you practice. If you begin playing on a steel string acoustic, you will have hard fingers in a hurry. After that, just practice a couple of times a week or more, and you won't have to go through the process again.

Later,

i just got my new guitar one mag..
they have a good play in one hour lesson this mounth.
it should be on the streets in about 2 weeks.
if you want to play rock.
C,D and G and power chords are the must.....
but there are so many lessons online.just look around........................................................................>

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
im an electric guitarist of 2 years... but i learnt on a nylon for 3 before that..

TIPS:

when you push down a note, do it just behind (on the side closest to the tuners) of the fret, and yes, hard helps, and try not to lean on the other strings. This will be hell on your fingers, but yes, you'll get callaces.

KEEP AT IT! YOU CAN DO IT!

Practice as much as you can bear

basic power chord - you can move this up to anywhere, as long as they are on the same strings, and two frets apart.

Bottom E string (this is the biggest string, actually on the top as you hold the guitar): 2nd fret. This means push down just behind the second fret.

A string (one next to the bottom E.. Second thickest): 4th fret. Push down just behind the fourth fret.

Play both of those strings (but not others if you can). Now try moving both fingers up at regular intervals (both up one, both up two, etc).

You can also do the same thing with the A string and D string (3rd from the top as you hold the guitar. third thickest) eg A string: 5th fret, D string: 7th fret.

Practise that.

DONT GIVE UP!!!!

:) -Eli

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Lessons, basics

www.wholenote.com My personal favourite. Lessons, BBS (like this one, but all about guitars/music)
www.guitarnoise.com Good place for beginners/intermediate players
www.guitartricks.com
www.guitar-masters.com (advanced lessons, and I'm not sure about the hyphen)
www.co-acoustic.com (now in disrepair)

Chords to songs you know

www.olga.net
www.tabcrawler.com

Lyrics

www.azlyrics.com

Equipment

www.homerecording.com
www.harmony-central.com

Need to know:

Your way around the fretboard

Chord theory (basically, how chords are constructed and named, and how to play them on a guitar) of the CAGED system. Don't be scared of theory. It's important, and pretty easy - remember they're not fixed rules, just guides so you can understand why things sound good/bad/the way they do, and will help you to get into writing...

How to know when to stop playing. Remember the pain is not supposed to become unbearable. Permanent damage can occur. The key is to practise and play with the minmum effort required.

www.guitarprinciples.com for 'The principles of Correct Practise' as addendum to the above.

Basic eartraining. Should be able to hear notes and know where to play them onthe fretboard so you can pick up songs you like even if you can't find them on the 'net.

Posture, Posture, Posture. If you have to put any effort into holding the damn thing, you are doing it wrong. The hands should be free to move about, you can't hold the guitar and play with the same hands. Guitar is to be supported with the body and upper right arm - not the hands.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
bigparsnip said:
The only problem I have now is that my fingers realy hurt, and I can't place my fingers properly, as it hurts too much to press down on the strings to stop them buzzing on the frets. DOH!

http://www.acousticguitar.com/lessons/first_chords/1.shtml

Good advice on keeping the fingers as close to the frets as possible. That is basically rule no. 1. Rule no. 2 is to try and actually place the finger on the fret - not on top of it but a little on the rounded part of the fret. Takes the least pressure for note to ring out clearly.

Don't start with chords if you can help it. Like learning a language - start with the notes.

Try simple diatonic exercises to feel how much pressure is required to actually press the strings down. Try doing it without thumb pressure. Not very much pressure is required.

Use all four fingers and move up and down the fretboard. Call out note names as you are playing them. Will help later on as well. Use 1234 pattern while moving up and 4321 when moving down. Your pinky will hurt like mad. Don't let it cramp, but the poor little guy is gonna take time. I use pinky for a-shape barres now, so mine has become a tough little tyke.

The more pressure you apply, the less the duration for which you can play as the fingers will tire.

Concentrate on stretching and getting the fingers to move correctly. Not just on note pressure. It is OK for bum notes to happen once in a while. As fingers gain mobility, they will gain strength also.

We are too used to let our index and thumb do all the work from picking our nose to writing a poem. Other fingers must gain mobility and strength.

Watch the pain, take frequent breaks. Use a softener to ease the calluses. Calluses will disappear after few years of playing, they will become more even and softer. Vaseline is fine. Using it before playing will make the freetboard nice and slick and easy to play. Wipe down afterward with a dry old rag. Will keep the strings nice and shiny.

Keep a small rubber ball with you at all times. Squeeze it with your fingers on a regular basis to keep the fingers flexible and add strength.

Try wholenote for finger strength exercises. Refer my last post. Look For Charles Gasci's lessons. You will not be diappointed.

bigparsnip said:

Just point out this because your brain currently can't cope. It yet
can't control each finger and how hard each finger presses down
which is why its seems so hard.

With practise your fingers will be in the right place and pushing
harder with one will affect the others much less, consequently
it will be much less tiring.

Also a good professional set-up, especially regarding the height
of the slots in the nut, will make your guitar easier to play.

:) sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.