mic pre opamp options NE5532, LM833, LF353.. any insight?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello everyone
I have an older 16 channel peavey consol I've put through some mods to better serve my needs. I mostly just rob the mic pre section for recording. It was originaly shipped out with NE5532N's in the preamp section. I've swapped half of them out with LM833N's, parttly due to a couple overload deaths, partly for a lower noise floor. Im realativly content with the current setup, but I would like to play around with other drop in solutions in order to further the life of my trusty board and I continue to dump money into mics. I came across a post here saying that the LF353 was also pin for pin compatable.. could anyone offer any insight to the sonic charater in this instance? I'm allso very very interested in any other opamps that could simply swapped out with out any futher mods. This way I can realativly quickly alter my humble old board to better suit one recording session to the next.
any input you may have to offer would be appriciated.
thanks
-etm

The sound.

I think the LF353 is older than the LM833.
I also have the NE5532.

I used these in some circuits and thought that the NE5532 was better sounding than the LM833 and the LF353 came last.
This was a few years ago. I'd prefer better sound and tolerate a poorer noise floor. In practice the noise may not be a problem though on paper it is worse.
Just mt 2 cents.
Cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.