Tremolo Pedal troubleshooting (no output)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I just finished building a design I found online. This is the schematic I am working off of. It looks like this is pretty much an EA Tremolo clone: http://byocelectronics.com/schematics/tremolo.jpg

For some reason I am getting no output. The bypass channel is working just fine, and I'm measuring proper DC signals across the components. I'm using 2N5458s instead of 2N5457s, but that shouldn't be a problem. The schematic didn't make it clear which way the transistors were oriented, but double checking with this schematic (https://scfxguide.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/ea.png), it looks like I had them correctly oriented.

I used tantalum capacitors for the trio of 1uF's, instead of electrolytic like the other schematic calls for. Could this make a difference?

It seems like there must be an open circuit somewhere, since I'm not even hearing noise. However, I'm pretty confident everything got connected. I don't have a function generator/oscilloscope, so that makes it tough for me to pinpoint where the signal is dying...

EDIT: It looks like I have all my transistors oriented wrong. I'll get them switched around tonight or tomorrow and post an update on whether or not it's working properly.

Last edited:
Tantalums will be fine if you used at least 16V rated and got their polarity right. Tants have zero tolerance of reverse polarity and if you got them wrong at any time they will certainly be "duffed". Unfortunately the "looks" of a blown tant cap can vary between the whole body blown to smitherines to no apparant physical damage at all.

Good Luck,
Ian

Okay, I ended up starting from scratch again, this time with the transistors in the right orientation. I now see the LED flashing at an appropriate rate based on the rate pot.

However, I have a really low output with the effect switched on and I'm not hearing any oscillation. Any ideas? Would it have something to do with that depth pot being 1M? The second schematic I posted uses a 250k instead of a 1M.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.