unhealthy idling pt load with only htrs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your 630v caps did not puncture, there is not even close to 630v in this amp anywhere. Certainly not near those caps.

Hewo, please, try to isolate the problem rather than just swapping parts. Locate just where your noise comes from, then any involved parts should become apparent. For example, pull the preamp tube, does the noise continue or stop? If it continues, that localizes it to the power tube stage. if it stops, it is in the first two stages.

Earlier I described a very simple way to shunt the signal path. By moving along the signal path shunting to ground, you can determine which points have the noise and which do not. If turning the volume control up and down also turns the noise up and down, the noise comes from before the control. If the control has no effect, then the noise is coming in after the control.

By using these techniques to narrow down the location of the problem, you eventually discover one point where the noise exists after but not before, and that point is where the problem lies. That is how troubleshooting is done.

Thank you so very much enzo.
Looks like the static fissuring noise is related to the 330:eek:ff:300 ht switch.
When I exercise it, the static vanishes, and upon static resumption, I exercise this switch, static dies.
Or else its finalizing self healing punctures?

This static fissuring noise is intermittent without any repetitional behavior, it comes without predictive behavior when you do not demand musical amplification. Musical demand does have this contamination, yet if static not present, musical demand can be uncontaminated for infinite duration (why doesn't static eventually return ?). Band played four hrs last night, 5f1 max'd but tele pots throttles sound pressure output. Band members clueless why static free four continuous hrs playing.
Yet, when it's not occurring, it can remain this way forever.
That's why suspect is the ht switch of 330/off/300.
Does this ac magnitude destroy by arcing contacts of switch?
Or 300/330 is too trivial to cause contact burnish arc damage?
if it is culprit, this explains why both pots have it, and also both pots can range the magnitude of static. Gain zero'd, mv has it, but once mv too is zero'd, static fissuring vanishes. This correlates back to the ht ac switch burnished contacts arc damaged? Htac feeds audio power, it is the foundation upon which pumps out "corrupted" energy, if corrupt by some fault.

Both of those authors know what they are talking about. You should read Merlin's book.

Both of them tell you you do not need a standby switch, especially for a tiny amp like the Champ.

I am quite certain you have done absolutely no harm to your transformer by powering it up without a load on the high voltage winding. neither author claims that.

thanks enzo, resolve accomplished

Since htac can be selected unplugged, I'll leave it be, and affix warning

"Operate htac switch deenergized"

or

"Do not operate htac switch energized"

This cures arc'ing,
This cures flyback reactive loads/current
This cures valve cathode surface destruction

electronic burning smell, closure explanation

So that smell could never be sourced back to its whereabouts.

I need closure on the causation.

Hypothesis: htac switch internal contacts arc'd, possibly compromised electrical isolation of structural insulation properties by formation of destructive carbon runners. Only dissection of switch can reveal deleterious carbon runners and or contact crusting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.