Need a good 8" guitar amp speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh, comb filtering is ugly, but a sad reality.
You just walk across stage and sound changes so much when you move your head just a few *inches* .

Even worse with massed stacks of PA speakers both sides of the stage.

That's the *one* big point I award to now popular "line array" PA speakers: by their vertical, column type stacking, doubly so by making the "highs" column the narrowest of them all and to boot, curving it, with the "official" purpose of even coverage, they have reduced comb filtering and hot spots to a minimum.

In a small combo amp, I've never noticed comb filter problems. My experience is with relatively small Fender Twin Reverb (2x 12") and Vibrolux Reverb (2x 10") amps. Since the audience is almost always more than 10 feet away, comb filtering isn't much of an issue with these. Then again, I don't go stage walking when I play.

PA stacks and Marshall-style closed back 4x 12" cabs are a completely different story. But then again, exponential horns in PAs are directional, so the sound you hear may change if you walk just a few feet.

--

I would never imagine using another speaker in my 67' Fender Vibro Champ then the original 8" Oxford 8ev-52 AlNiCo. The low end is really tight and punchy, liquidy mids, and brilliant highs!! :) If you can find one give it a try. When I first got the amp I wasn't sure if it would be loud enough to cut through during band practice for we do not mic ourselves during band practice. After a few songs my buddies were amazed. They couldn't believe it was an 8" speaker and a 5 watt amp. It kept right up with a Fender Princeton Reverb with a 12" Cannabis Rex. I love this amp, it is my new favorite.

...I need suggestions on 8" speakers that don't cost $80 or more, but will give me a good guitar sound. Cabinet was a Crate chorus SS amp, open back. Any ideas? Thanks

Hello !
Most people on this thread tell about classic brands and models ... Sure they're right. But you could also find good speakers elsewhere, and make a personalized cabinet. I particulary think of Weber speakers. They build numerous 8' models, that are well described on their website. I used some of them in semi open cabinets (to get more low mids for old blues and jazz) or bass reflex, 80Hz tuned (for jazz). They are powered by old school home built amps : 6BQ5 or 6V6 5W and 8W, all germanium transistors 10 or 25W... I also test them in open cabinet. I only can tell about cerramic magnet, I haven't used alnicos...

Their global characteristics are to be very singing speakers, much more subtle AND strong than the 8" Celestion that didn't suit me. The mids are different from model to model, but ever well projected, fluid and never too sharp. They give pleasure to your guitar !

I have experience on three models :

>>> CVC8 it is a model that I wanted to advise you. It seems to be no more built. Good deal if you find one on the Bay or elsewhere.
Weber wrote : "16oz ceramic magnet, 10W. Economical replacement for Chicago C8Q, C8E, Oxford and CTS 8"s. Clear, warm, woody reedy tone. Articulate, detailled high end, yet takes the edge off distorsion at high volume".
It really sounds like said. It was my preferred speaker for little 5W amps with 6V6 or EL84...
Looking at the website, you'll find a lighter model in Signature Series : the 8s. Same magnet, but more common cone... And in British Series, the Blue Pup 8, a new model to come, which seems more beefy.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

>>> 8F150 Weber writes : "For replacement of vintage Chicago Jensen P8R, P8Q, C8R, and other 8" applications where a lot more low end and overall punch is desired.
30oz Ceramic magnet, 25 watts, 1-1/2" voice coil, ribbed cone. Big, strong, well controlled low end. Detailed, later breakup. Very loud and aggressive with a lot of punch and dynamics for an 8" speaker."
It is a powerfull 8" I use it when I need to keep clear sound when loud (the 8F125-O is much dirtier).

>>> 8F125-O - Weber writes :"For late BF and all SF Champs with 8" speaker, and to replace Oxfords and vintage Chicago Jensens.
8", 30oz ceramic magnet, 20 watts, 1-1/4" voice coil, straight cone. Warm, crunchy, early breakup, aggressive. Louder and more aggressive than the 8F100 due to the larger magnet and voice coil".
It is really beefy and louder than any 8" I know. Mids are not notched, and the global tonal curve is a bit like prewar speakers. A pleasure playin loud delta blues or old swing... But not fender-like.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If you want more fenderian contemporary sounds, look at alnicos models.
Anyway, 8" are numerous and diverse at Weber's, and you shoud find there interesting identities.

Happy to share those information
Just have to say I have nothing to do with the Weber crew, i'm only a satiesfied customer...

Guitar Poppa

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.