Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

How much Capacitance/Filtering is too much?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2015, 10:36 PM   #1
AudioFreak88 is offline AudioFreak88  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How much Capacitance/Filtering is too much?

Is it even Logical/safe to increase/mix and match in series or parallel networks of different values upwards to what 2-4x original amounts?
Old 9th August 2015, 10:43 PM   #2
Greg Erskine is offline Greg Erskine  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFreak88 View Post
Is it even Logical/safe to increase/mix and match in series or parallel networks of different values upwards to what 2-4x original amounts?
Possibly/maybe yes/no.
Old 9th August 2015, 10:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
Possibly/maybe yes/no.
Debating on trying something/increasing/mixing but I know... there is some increased Risks/strain on rectifier/PSU right with Charge up/inrush.

Mainly Curious if I could get a bit cleaner/filtered/tighter sound...noticeable ghosting would go away etc.

Last edited by AudioFreak88; 9th August 2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 9th August 2015, 10:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

This is the kinda stuff I need to ask because it feels like with my Uncertainty, I'm going to do something that will/can cause some Fireworks etc haha
Old 9th August 2015, 11:12 PM   #5
gingertube is offline gingertube  Australia
diyAudio Member

The value tolerance on "older" elctrolytic capacitor value was such that you could actually have X2 or X 1/2 what was written on the side anyway. THat sort of change will barely be noticable.

I tend to buy a bag of 22uF 450V Panasonic ED and just use 2, 3 , 4 etc in parallel till I like the sound.

KOC has a section on setting main filter cap size in one of the TUT books. Can't remember what criteria he used, need to go back and read it again.

If NOT using a tube rectifier then there are no real circuit safety/reliability implications in going up by a factor of even X10. More should give a tighter (more HiFi) sound.

If using a tube rectifier you MUST stick to the maximum C1 spec for the rectifier.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 10th August 2015, 05:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertube View Post
The value tolerance on "older" elctrolytic capacitor value was such that you could actually have X2 or X 1/2 what was written on the side anyway. THat sort of change will barely be noticable.

I tend to buy a bag of 22uF 450V Panasonic ED and just use 2, 3 , 4 etc in parallel till I like the sound.

KOC has a section on setting main filter cap size in one of the TUT books. Can't remember what criteria he used, need to go back and read it again.

If NOT using a tube rectifier then there are no real circuit safety/reliability implications in going up by a factor of even X10. More should give a tighter (more HiFi) sound.

If using a tube rectifier you MUST stick to the maximum C1 spec for the rectifier.

Cheers,
Ian
No, its Diode Bridge...and yeah heard you increase quite a bit with that..but with tube going too much stripp's the plates?..

mainly just want to try I'm assuming the usual reservoir/series network/balancingEQing resistors/Fuse then Paralleling networks etc.. but like about 3-4x amount capacitance...mainly because all I have at the moment/ readily available... and yeah many claiming huge difference cleaner/hi-fi/stiffer response.

No not 22uf 450v.. like Mixing 47uf/100uf/330uf stuff etc....I'm worried/kinda scared/uncertain about the 330uf etc haha

Last edited by AudioFreak88; 10th August 2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10th August 2015, 10:38 PM   #7
cerrem is offline cerrem  United States
diyAudio Member

The main concerns with large BULK capacitance are:
1. In-Rush current at cold tart-up....
2. Peak currents during steady state operation...
In-Rush is easily solved....
2. Your diodes flow current based on conduction angle.... conduction angle gets smaller as you increase your BULK capacitors.... As the conduction angle get smaller, the Peak current will increase due to the smaller amount of time to pass all this re-charge current... These Peak currents occur PRIOR to the crest of the voltage waveform, thus grossly distorting the current waveform..this make for some nasty EMI issues with compliance to rules governing polluting the mains voltage...
Old 11th August 2015, 09:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

So a Few of these Samxon 450v/330uf are not going to blow up if I try something? haha

Last edited by AudioFreak88; 11th August 2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11th August 2015, 10:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Okay Fire extinguisher/rags will be nearby etc haha
Old 12th August 2015, 12:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Nevermind...Getting a a Sick sound with some old Samxon LPs..just added 330uf to Resevoir... Wow sounds just huge/focused/clean/clear etc...just a little bump/enough to what I was wanting to hear/response.

How much Capacitance/Filtering is too much?Hide this!Advertise here!