Premier 90 Buzz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Replaced all the resistors. 2- caps. Not sure what type of caps to order for the turquoise ones (pic) and how to replace the multi-cap. I have pictures attached. The buzz went down after replacing the resistors. I have new tubes in it too. I can faintly hear the gtr when plugged in.

Turquoise ones are 0.022 400v 10%
and 0.01 400v ==

Attachments

• Premier 90.jpg
    Premier 90.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Premier 90-1.jpg
    Premier 90-1.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Premier 90 -2.jpg
    Premier 90 -2.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 40
Had one of these on the bench the other week, I was lucky, fresh tubes and clean pots, good as gold...
That multi section cap is a likely suspect, half wave recto, cap will be working hard, replace it with single axials and fit full wave bridge if youre not concerned with keeping original inside. B+ will lift a bit but from memory its low enough to not be an issue :)

If you don't already have one, you can draw a schematic from the circuit, it is a simple amp. Either way, it would help us to have a schematic to look for.

Instead of just replacing parts hoping to cure the issue, why not get out the meter and see how much ripple is on the power supplies and see if any of the coupling caps are leaking DC?

Here's the schematic for it. Have you checked that the reverb tank itself is good? One test is to do a DC resistance test for both in and out coils. The hand drawn schematic says one ohm for the input and 200 ohms for the output coils. Also, there are voltage readings on that same schematic. Measure those to see if they are close. They could be +/- about 20%, so close is good enough.

View attachment premier-90-reverbunit-schematic (1).pdf

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.