noisy foot switch; is there a fix?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, I have been asked to build a simple kill switch for a guitarist friend who wants to be able to silence his guitar downstream of his pedal board so he can silently tune etc... I built a box with 2 jacks connected together (in and out) and a switch that shorts the signal to ground when turned "on". The problem is he complains it makes a click that is audible through his amplifier at the moment he steps on it. No matter if he stomps it hard or gently presses it makes a noise when he turns his guitar "off".

Is this the switch contacts bouncing on connection or what? I do not hear a noticeable click like he does but he swears it is no good the way it is... SO

Is there a better made switch (I used this one: Peavey On/Off Single-Button Replacement Switch) or must he go with an active circuit for a silent kill switch? As a purist guitar type he demands straight through designs (so called true bypass pedal designs only please...) so any design I can think of that would be truly silent would not be true bypass...

Is there another way?

Last edited:
My design is identical to Fig 1-B (shunt switching). This is what I built. I know better than to use 1-A as that would be an invitation to more noise. I don't understand how using 1-C (both series and shunt switching) would stop the click noise during actuation. Can anyone give an explanation here?

I believe the Figure 1-B diagram as shown is not in the muted position (Fig 1-A and 1-C are in mute position but not 1-B).

Last edited:
As a purist guitar type he demands straight through designs (so called true bypass pedal designs only please...) so any design I can think of that would be truly silent would not be true bypass...
a DC series cap is better than a series switch?

I reckon a double pole switch would be unbeatable for pure. how you hook it up... well tell no tales tell no lies
if the problem is DC i'm sure you'll find more "pure" nonsense at the source

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Can you suggest a value? Remember the customer is very concerned about tonal coloration so the cap value
would need to be such that it didn't change his tone noticeably...

This is mainly for troubleshooting. If the noise goes away with the cap, there's DC on the input and a tech should check it.
Try either a 1uF film or a 10uF nonpolarized electrolytic.

If that doesn't help, try a 2k resistor in parallel with the switch. This will help if the amp has a very high input impedance.

Last edited:
Done (if you examine inside the amp and many pedals (bypass ) youll notice switching going on in the signal chain ) pure

if it still pops put a bleeder resistor across the bottom contact

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
why sereis-shunt is better

In the examples, 1C-series-shunt method-is better because of the inherent self-capacitance of the series switch, which could be several pico farads. Remember a capacitor is two conductors separated by an insulator- in this case, air. The resistance of the series open switch-it's not infinity- and the capacitance of the switch form a high-pass filter and some signal gets through- the pop. The second switch-shunt-routs the pop to ground. Use a DPDT and use one NO and one NC contact. It's the easiest and cheapest option. You can try other options if this doesn't satisfy your guitar player. You might want to inform him being a purist- true bypass mechanical switching only- has its consequences.
The other options are solid state, JFET, LDR, etc. As someone stated earlier, a cap will change the tone of the signal, and if the small pop irritates him/her the wrong cap surely will.

Joined 2011
Not very well other than it is extensive. He plays in a very successful cover band in the Detroit area. It most likely has a tuner, compressor, 2 different overdrives, phaser, phlanger, echo (probably 2 different echo settings or 2 pedals), and an EQ. A full salad of noise makers...

I'll bet this is the source of the pops, try it with a 100k resistor load across the shorting switch.

Well I had a 100K ohm resister in my parts box so this is the method I used for the first attempt at fixing the issue. In my tests the switch was quieter than without the resister so I returned it to its owner for evaluation. I am waiting to hear from him on whether it is fixed...

Thank you all for your input, I greatly appreciate it. I will report back after he evaluates it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.