Finished my Tube DI/Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, thought I'd post my recently finished tube di. I got a lot of help from users on this forum and I wanted to say thanks. :)

It uses a 12AX7 and a 12AU7. The 12AX7 is set up as a dc coupled cathode follower. The signal then goes to the first stage of the 12AU7 which is a simple cut/boost inductor eq with selectable frequencies. The second stage of the 12AU7 is a cathode follower driving a jensen audio transformer.

B+ is 300V, unregulated. Heaters are 6.3VDC, regulated, and elevated by about 60V. Tubes are standard JJ. I wanted to get the design right before venturing into testing different tube brands.

Power transformer is Edcor. Enclosure is Hammond 1402FV that I painted black.

The sound is surprisingly transparent, much more than any active DI that I've heard. When slapping or playing aggressive on bass guitar, there is a unique "organic" quality to it that I've not heard from my tone before. I don't know how else to describe it. Overall I'm very impressed, and want to continue venturing into new territory!

4b36323b-f485-47d5-bb92-836db0e744a5_zps4a3c5c29.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.