trace acoustic ta100r repair help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Decided to attempt repair of my dead Trace Acoustic TA100r, that I shelved several years ago. R78 on front circuit board is fried to the extent that i can't determine its value. A schematic,(if i could find one), would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Really? Go to the Trace website. Click on SUPPORT, and you get:

Trace Elliot
5022 Highway 493 North
Meridian, MS 39305
Phone: (877) 856-9243
Fax: (601) 486-1278
E-Mail: customerservice@traceelliot.com

That address should be familiar, it is the Peavey plant. Trace Elliot is a Peavey brand.

The schematic I have is a poor copy, I am hoping the folks at Peavey will have better. There is a low voltage power supply making +/-12vDC. The feed into it is through a 7 watt 150 ohm resistor (into a pass transistor) which APPEARS to be R78, though hard to read and might be R75.

There is another that COULD be R78, a small resistor associated with TR10, and that is a 10k. So is the burnt one a large 7w resistor or a small one?

I have one TA100R schematic.

Unfortunately it seems to be either for an older or newer version than OP's model (which also Enzo refers to) since the schematic doesn't really match the desciption.

In this one the low voltage supply has its own secondary winding, and while it does have discrete regulator transistors the supply voltages are +/-15VDC instead of +/-12 volts. The component designations do not match either (no such thing as R78 or even R7x in the whole regulator circuit). It's a very basic regulator: two pass transistor with zener diodes and filter caps on their gates. Voltage division with 2K2 resistor from the high voltage supply connecting to transistor base and a 16V zener diode in shunt. Since the transistor handles all the regulation and the Zener diodes at gate draw only very low current no high power resistors (such as 7W 150R) are involved in the circuitry.

I try to browse my schematic collection because I have a faint memory that I also have much older, hand-drawn schematics for some of the TA-series amps around somewhere. (The one I have is made with CAD and very clear). I think Trace Elliot used those +/-12VDC supply voltages way back. I see what I can dig out but my collection is spread on 15 - 30 CD-R's without any sort of logical assortment other than title "schematics" written to the CD's. It's actually quite a lot of work to go thorugh that hunting just for one specific thing....

As it appears there are many different revisions of the TA100R, some obviously very different from yours, you wouldn't happen to have serial number so folks could date the proper technical documents? The schematic I have is for >1998 models.

Last edited:
From his other thread, a newer schematic, I see R78 would be a 470 ohm input resistor from the XLR input. If that is the case, a burnt resistor there pretty much says to ne the IC s=will be bad or at least stressed as well. That is IC9a on that drawing.

Thanks for the replies. Since my initial post I have acquired 2 Trace service manuals,(no.SM00034 ISSUE 2 and no.SM00060 ISSUE 1.) The AOP and FRONT boards of my amp are ISSUE 3, though the BACK board is ISSUE 2. The ISSUE 1 manual is very different and doesn't seem to pertain to my amp. The ISSUE 2 manual appears much the same as mine.(component values,codes, and where used.) One notable difference-TR 11 according to the manual is transistor BD677. On my circuit board it is NTE 253. Are these the same kind of transistors produced by different manufacturers?
The serial number on the back of my cabinet was written in with a sharpie and has faded to the point of being illegible. There are however dates handwritten with sharpies on a couple of the boards of 12/05/91.
Thanks again for everyones help.

NTE is a replacement line. They sell parts that are supposed to be "equivalent" to the real parts. If you look up BD677 in the NTE guide, then you will find NTE253 as the replacement for it in their line. SO in other words, at some point someone repaired this unit and bought the part at some local parts house.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.