Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Guitar amp kits
Guitar amp kits
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2014, 04:17 PM   #1
cemusky is offline cemusky  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Guitar amp kits

Any opinions on tube guitar amp kits? Who is offering the best kits?

I'm considering a bassman clone.
Old 14th January 2014, 04:19 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Guitar amp kits
Please post to the proper forum. All musical amplifier threads are to be posted in Instruments and Amps. Please see forum sub headers for clarification.
Old 14th January 2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Adam Reed is offline Adam Reed  United States
diyAudio Member

cemusky,

I built a '59 Bassman from a Weber kit. Documentation is really clear, good quality parts, you can't go wrong!
Old 14th January 2014, 06:04 PM   #4
cemusky is offline cemusky  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I'll check it out!
Old 15th January 2014, 02:51 AM   #5
bparnell57 is offline bparnell57  United States
diyAudio Member

You could get the Weber instructions and go to mableaudio.com, an Asian supplier out of china, $308 for a 5f6a chassis kit, or $358 assembled, plus probably about 100 bucks in shipping, and you can spend some money on some good paper in oil coupling caps and some carbon comps. They also sell 5f1, 5e3, JTM45, and 18Watt TMB kits, all for super cheap, if you can trust a Chinese company... there are other sites like this one, but this one I had heard somewhere about a man ordering a kit and being pleased. NOTE: these are purely loose part kits without a manual, I believe... Weber products are always great, and they're a trusted US company, not some no name chinese firm
Old 18th January 2014, 10:10 PM   #6
ArcticBreaze is offline ArcticBreaze  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default mable vs weber

I bought my first kit from Mable It was a 5E3 and I was happy with it overall the transformers supplied in the kit are way over engineered suped it up with 6l6's ran ok at 30 watts changed the output tranny and was running 60 watts from original power tranny no probs, but i didna like the Chinese valves. if you are good with wood to make your own cabinet then Mables kits are ok.

when i bought this kit I looked at Ted Weber's kits too but they were then a bit over the top price wise. But I now realize that if you buy the whole kit from Weber including cab and speakers the price is actually quite good. speaker prices are heavily discounted for the kits and their cabs are prity good too.

My vote would go to Weber unless your real good a cabinetry.

soon as I sell my old Jansen 60, I'm going to by a Weber bassman combo.
Old 19th January 2014, 03:23 AM   #7
bparnell57 is offline bparnell57  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBreaze View Post
I bought my first kit from Mable It was a 5E3 and I was happy with it overall the transformers supplied in the kit are way over engineered suped it up with 6l6's ran ok at 30 watts changed the output tranny and was running 60 watts from original power tranny no probs, but i didna like the Chinese valves. if you are good with wood to make your own cabinet then Mables kits are ok.

when i bought this kit I looked at Ted Weber's kits too but they were then a bit over the top price wise. But I now realize that if you buy the whole kit from Weber including cab and speakers the price is actually quite good. speaker prices are heavily discounted for the kits and their cabs are prity good too.

My vote would go to Weber unless your real good a cabinetry.

soon as I sell my old Jansen 60, I'm going to by a Weber bassman combo.
Hey, two things, do you think their 5f1 kit would be worth it if the transformers are as overspecced as your 5e3's were? Also, doesn't mable offer a 5e3 kit with cab?
Old 19th January 2014, 04:45 AM   #8
wirewiggler is offline wirewiggler  United States
diyAudio Member

I just purchased Weber kit (waiting for it) they do offer a complete kit. If I did it again I would probably go with the Boothill kit and piece out the rest of the parts. I went with the 5E3 prolux because I liked the speaker but do not need the power output so I will be adding power scaling. Also I will be upgrading caps and resistors. I will be also upgrading tubes but will test it with ones in the kit.

Bill
Old 22nd January 2014, 04:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bparnell57 View Post
Hey, two things, do you think their 5f1 kit would be worth it if the transformers are as overspecced as your 5e3's were? Also, doesn't mable offer a 5e3 kit with cab?
I don't know about the 5F1 kit but ya can't beat mable on price.

and yes they do a Cab for the 5E3 now, but not when I bought mine, Not sure what wood they hav used in it and its Vinyl tweed.

I now buy most of my cabs from weber made to order in my colour scheme and they're better at it than me.

ya gets what ya pays for.
Old 22nd January 2014, 04:49 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewiggler View Post
I went with the 5E3 prolux
Nice choice I much prefer the sound of the 6L6's to 6V6's

please let me know when it arrives what brand of Valves weber supplied I'm just curious and do keep us up to date on how the build goes, lots of pics etc.

Guitar amp kitsHide this!Advertise here!