I want to build an amp cab

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,
i'm a 14 year old guitarist who has been playing for about 7 years. I am constantly playing through an 80watt marshall amp and want to get something better. I thought i could build a cabinet and buy a head, but i dont really know what to do or any of the terms and stuff like that. I was wondering if anyone could help me or direct me to a site. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Chris

I've never built a cab before, but i think guitar cabs are pretty simple. They're really just boxes with speakers in them. Theres no fancy bracing or anything like some other speakers have. I have a marshall 4X12 Cab that i got used a while ago, but it was in like new condition. New it sells for 300, but i got it for 175.. less than the price of two of the speakers that are in it. I think to build one it would be much more expensive when u put in 400 for some celestion speakers.. say 50??? for wood/wiring/screws (i have no idea on the prices of wood) And some more if ya want to cover it with vinyl or carpet, put handles on it, or put some plastic corners on it.. so you're probablly looking at 450-500 bucks to build the thing with decent speakers, when you could get a nice looking used one for under 200. I also got a used head for 150.. It's a Crate 150w, 2 channels, and it sounds really nice. So my total was 325 for the head and cab.. not bad considering a new crate with the same power sells for close to 500.. So ya might wanna really look into what it would cost to build one before you put a line thru buying used stuff, or even some new stuff is cheaper than building it yourself. BTW, what kinda guitar ya got?

Choices depend quite a bit on what sort of music you play and what sort of sound you want. What model is the 80W Marshall ? and what don't you like about it ? I would recommend looking around for a second hand older model valve amp - they usually have a much better sound than more modern ones, and fancy effects often included can be done better with pedals.

For raunchy metal/grunge, very few amps can beat the old Marshall JCM800 series head/ quad box, or even combo models.

If you want clean ballsy sound, then go for Fender, say the old Twin Reverb.

Others that can give you a bit of both between would be Mesa Boogie or Crate.

Would seriously doubt whether you could build a cab cheaper than you could pick up something decent second hand.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.