Fender Guitar Amp modifications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
WEll I don't know much about this particular amp, but...

It won't give you any extra volume, but it will probably give you more overdrive. I built a guitar preamp with 3 cascaded 12AX7, and the distortion you could get was awesome, a real "metal" sound. However, the gain was ridiculous, you couldnt get much of a clean tone from the "crunch" channel.

If I were you, I would do it anyway :D

Also I hear the speaker in it is a bit of a weak point...

As you do not have to build the auxiliary circuit board, the mod is not difficult to make; indeed, I am thinking myself about doing it. The problem I see is the volume. Mine is a 1995 Fender Blues Deluxe and, to my ears and to those of my bandmates, this amp is really loud; so loud that it is difficult to get distortion at a reasonable volume. Adding gain in the preamp stage, as in this mod, would be great, but this requires to cut the gain in the power stage. Perhaps this cold be done by following the principle explained in the mod, namely, removing the bypass caps and increasing the resistor values in the power stage in order to lower the gain. As I installed a bias pot, I was thinking about repacing the 6L6's with 6V6's, but I wonder if the OT would respond well to this change.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.