new harp amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi there guys and gals
just started a new amp build using the lone wolf 6sl7-6l6se as the basis for a bit of modding (i just cant seem not to mess with things).

anyway I just ordered a weber 10a125 speaker 20watts 8 ohms with the "H" for harmonica dust cap.

Has anyone used any weber speakers are they ok opinions please.

by the way here's the schematic I'm starting with.

Attachments

• 6L6SE_6SL7T.jpg
    6L6SE_6SL7T.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 316
Wonderful speaker choice for a harp amp. I have a 1950's Danelectro tweed 2 watt amp I use for guitar and sometimes harp, and it has a Weber CVC 8 inch ceramic 4 ohm copy of a 1940's/1950's Chicago Jensen with an aged cone, and it is wonderful. Your speaker is from the next line up so I bet it will sound fantastically smooth and warm, or if you crank it, nice an honky with a nice natural harp tone. Weber speakers are my speakers of choice, and I have been incredibly happy with their products for the money. I think the only thing you could have ordered to get a more "authentic" tone would be an antique rola 10 inch alnico speaker for like 30 bucks off of fleabay, but it still probably wouldnt sound as good as I bet your weber will. Good luck with your build, and also, I like that amp design, but I think that you may have difficulty finding different gain variations of said preamp tube easily, so I suggest either ordering or making an adapter for 12a*7 series tubes, to make tube rolling easier. Also, you will find that single NOS 6l6WXT's or 6L6GC's are much cheaper than pairs, and therefore economical, although sovtek ones or NOS Russian ones are good for the money. Also, reissue tung-sol tubes are excellent. Good luck with the build. BTW, did you get any doping on that weber speaker? It was an option at checkout.

hi there
no thought i'd try it with out doping first, i guess i could add dope latter.
But the tube choice was quite deliberate, i really like the tone from the bigger tube so instead of tube swapping I'll be swap'n resistors till i get the sound i want, there is a 12ax7 version of this amp too(see attached) its the original,
i hav sum old stock rca 6l6gt's and 2 sylvania's that were part of a quad. and a couple of old 6sl7's not new but far from used up.
i'm glad to here you recommend the weber speakers so highlly as its quite an investment by the time the shipping goes on.

thanks for the reply

Attachments

• 6l6se_schem.jpg
    6l6se_schem.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 235
Okay, I feel that with a harp amp doping may be unnecessary to prevent cone cry, as I doubt this is common with harp, correct me if I am wrong? Also, I feel like your tone will be quite colorful and toneful with the combination of a rare example of a big bottle output tube in Class A, a warm rounded octal 6sl7 preamp, an un-doped raw alnico speaker, and a solid state rectifier for a tighter feel, but I feel as if the filter caps could be upped in value slightly just to prevent future B+ ripple. I think it will be a very unique amp tone wise, similar to a very early tweed fender, but with some warmth and class, but I could be wrong, it may sound completely different. Good luck with your build! Oh, and I am happy to see a 6L6 operated at fair voltage a dissipation, instead of killing it. Also, I have heard that 5881's sound good in SE big bottle amps.

but I feel as if the filter caps could be upped in value slightly just to prevent future B+ ripple.

yes I was thinking the same, when I moded my 5e3 i had to put a 100uf cap in there to make it run smooth (was a little much but only had 30's and 100's in stock) and yes i expect it to sound fenderish (<--- look new word for dictionary lol).
sound clips here
" http://www.lonewolfblues.com/audio/shuffle_6L6SE.mp3 "
this is original format with 12ax7 its actually quite good, but i think / hope the 6sl7 will be just a bit better plus its easier to soldier an octal lol :D

thanks for the input if you can see any other defects in this design let me know.

cheers

YAY new cabs arrived

the new cabs are here, havn't actually sat down and worked out the cost but they dooo look good.:D

now i can get the chassis bent to fit. goin to put power amp and all the iron in the botom preamp in top, makes it harder to knock over.

cant wait for the speakers to get here, might slip the 5e3 into one of these cabs while i'm building the 6l6se amps.

Attachments

• weber1net.jpg
    weber1net.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 106
  • weber2net.jpg
    weber2net.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 117
Just keep the speaker magnet away from the tubes.

Thanks for the schematics. My version is for guitar, and I usually use it with a JBL 10" just because it's efficient and loud for its size. For guitar I had to add a second volume control, so there's one between each stage. No tone control, but a deep switch and a bright switch on the first stage.

I started with a Champ and kept beefing it up until now I've got a 15 watt se output transformer, bigger power trans, solid state rectifier, choke, and eventually a KT120 that's sitting on the shelf.

and eventually a KT120 that's sitting on the shelf.

wow that will hav sum punch

as speakers and transformers havn't arrived yet for my SE amps and i needed a smaller amp for a gig today. I pulled apart my 6l6 powered 5E3 (prolux ?) never liked it for harp too easy to feed bak and way too clean. so i built the lonewolf preamp into it had too change the cap on the tone control and reversed the speaker polarity, I'm almost happy with the result. Tone is way better lots of harmonics still feeds bak easier than my big amp, its got sum grunt tho, must be a fair amount of lift in the PI that wouldn't be there in an SE.:D

Attachments

• se5e3.jpg
    se5e3.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 84
  • se5e32.jpg
    se5e32.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 79
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.