8 Ohm 2X12 Guitar Speaker cabinet - 2X4 Ohms in series or 2X16 Ohms in parallel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Gang!

Can't seem to find anything that says which would perform better or benefits vs cons, for either a 2X4 Ohm in series, or 2X16 Ohm in parallel, for an 8 Ohm 2X12 speaker cabinet for a guitar amp? :hypno2:

Should I assume it doesn't matter or might any of you have some experiences and guidance on this?

Thanks in advance! :D

Thank you Gentlemen!

This all makes sense looking a little closer!

It turns out, there's a used pair of 16 Ohm 12" Eminence Wizards for sale at less than half price of new. Looks like I might have a converstaion about buying them now!

As far as Amps, I have several. From 5 watts (Tube) to 60 watts (SS). These speakers are rated at 75 watts so they'll handle just about any reasonable Guitar amp.

And I'm an old fart now so I'll never turn it that high on the 5 watter no less. LOL

Backstage passes to you all when I get to: "Rock Star". :rolleyes:

Now to build a suitable 2X12 cabinet. Maybe an open/closed back convertible. If anyone has a link to well designed plans... Please do tell!

As always, Thank you all! This is the most supportive with quality information site on the Internet. :cheers:

Thank you tinitus!

I was wondering about what volume cabinet would allow these to breathe best! So i guess a few dabs of Crazy Glue wouldn't qualify as proper mounting? LOL Gorilla Glue is better! :D

I will look into the best performance options on how to mount these for sure! Something tells me, building a nice cabinet with quality plywood and so on, won't be cheap either!

I will prevail!

Thanks again!

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Wizard_16.pdf

Vas is low
might open alternative options

roughly I think the needed front baffle for 2x 12" matches the size of about +60liter
maybe experiment with different back plates

and please think about proper mounting of drivers

I was wondering about what volume cabinet would allow these to breathe best!!

If it's for guitar use it really doesn't matter very much, with open-back (and small) cabinets perfectly fine for guitar.

If you want to build them for general PA use as well as guitar, then make then considerably larger (in order to get decent bass) and add a crossover and tweeter(s).

How do the voice coils affect each other in series? Putting a large coil in series with the other speaker would reduce its HF response.

It has no such effect - putting identical speakers in parallel or in series sounds exactly the same (as near as makes no odds - the biggest difference though would be due to the lower damping factor).

How do the voice coils affect each other in series? Putting a large coil in series with the other speaker would reduce its HF response.

I don't suppose that a large guitar speaker will have too much HF response anyway.

That only happens because the impedance of the inductor at HF is much larger than the impedance of the driver.

Two identical drivers will get exactly half-voltage each, at any frequency, so their HF response isn't affected.

Chris

I'm sure you are right

just curious if anyone actually tested this in practice ?

I've a cheapie multi-meter and a couple of JBL subwoofers. I'd expect all (cone type) drivers will behave in a similar fashion, so those would do for a test:

Set frequencies of, say, 20Hz, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1k, 2k, 3k, 5k, 8k, 15kHz, and measure the voltages across both, with reasonable drive signal.

I'd expect the voltages to be within 10% of each other, based on fairly-standard manufacturing tolerance.

Chris

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
not a question whether it works or not, ofourse it will work
but will it really sound the same no matter how drivers are connected :confused:

you say it will
so I asked if you tried it yourself
and listened to all the different combinations
or rely on 'all the same'

I would be interested in hearing if anyone actualy tried all possible combinations, and listened to them

different thing, but I have 4 small Foster tweeter horns, and coupled as parallel pairs they sound harsh ... but very sweet in series :scratch:

not a question whether it works or not, ofourse it will work
but will it really sound the same no matter how drivers are connected :confused:

you say it will
so I asked if you tried it yourself
and listened to all the different combinations
or rely on 'all the same'

I've wired speakers in probably every way possible - and perhaps even a few that weren't :D

The only difference is the damping factor, which doesn't really matter that much anyway - and certainly not for guitars :p

hmm ... yeah, if any difference, it would probably only 'show' at frequencies(higher) that these kind of drivers does not produce anyway

Damping factor mostly affects bass, the better the damping factor the more control of the speaker cone.

The crossovers used for high frequency units prevent them being effected at all, and in any case the small cone movement doesn't really have 'control' problems.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.