Guitar Speaker Cab/ PA Mixer Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FWIW:
two 8 ohm windings, in parallel to give 4 ohms, or in series to give 16 ohms.

In fact 2 "8 ohms windings" in parallel, are still 8 ohms total (you are keeping turns ratio, hence impedance ratio).

Only advantage (and it's something useful) is that DC resiatance will be halved .... but that's something else.

Wire said "8 ohms" secondaries in series and now you have a 32 ohms output.

Check winding details of valve output transformers, same number of turns from 0-8 ohms as 8-16 ohms.

Well, I do rewind them .

What's funny is that *often* I find errors, such as the 8 ohms tap not having exactly 1.4X the turns of the 4 ohms one, but as much as 20% more or less turns, which is inexcusable.

Errors up to 40% impedance :eek:

I attribute that to the antiscientific mentality so prevalent in this trade, mojo and all that jazz.

As in: somebody has a "killer VOX AC 30" .... the OT burns into a carbonized mess .... some Tech rewinds it, counts turns (wrong ... remember he's pulling crumbling fine wire with tweezers out of it) ... and saves the "magic formula" in his notebook .

And on and on and on.

But wouldn't he *calculate* it and notice it's wrong?

Even something as crude as matching turns ratio to expected impedances?

What for?

After all, it's the way Leo :worship: Jim :worship: Everett :worship: did it :scratch1:

But ... did they? :scratch1:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.