what happens to voltage when I add a good choke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I add a reasonable-inductance but enormous choke with very little DC resistance before the capacitor filters in the main B+ supply, it should be easier for the power transformer to deliver current thru more of the wall-supply cycle, but what is the end result for the resultant B+ voltage? Will it always drop? I guess I should model but what's the rule of thumb?

Thanks again Enzo, I remember reading that link from aikenamps.com before but apparently neither the math nor rule of thumb stuck in my brain. Unlike what Katie & dad posted, a CLC is still basically a capacitor input filter, and a choke input filter like I asked about has a choke immediately after the rectifier. But either way, I'm not talking about a small choke between B+ and grid supply & preamp either.

I'm cooking up another single-ended guitar amp and picking out a power transformer, and I have some very nice chokes. So I'm just deciding what to do with them, if anything.

Thanks again Enzo, I remember reading that link from aikenamps.com before but apparently neither the math nor rule of thumb stuck in my brain. Unlike what Katie & dad posted, a CLC is still basically a capacitor input filter, and a choke input filter like I asked about has a choke immediately after the rectifier. But either way, I'm not talking about a small choke between B+ and grid supply & preamp either.

I'm cooking up another single-ended guitar amp and picking out a power transformer, and I have some very nice chokes. So I'm just deciding what to do with them, if anything.

Chokes were used historically to reduce hum, because decent sized capacitors weren't available, so there's little reason to use them these days - unless you're going for the extra distortion as the HT rails comes down lower?.

Some Info / Resources:
Page 11 of the Hammond Catalogue - print it and stick it on your wall
http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/5C08.pdf

Model your power supply (free download software):
PSUD2
This is RECOMMENDED - I use it a lot.

The addition of a choke has the capacity of spreading the conduction angle of power drawn from the transformer. This reduces peak currents, diode switching stress etc and reduces the noise reflected back through the transformer into other windings. This can help reduce noise problems with bias supplies and heater supplies.

Cheers,
Ian
Duncan Amps also has a tone stack simulator software - worth a look while you are there.

Cheers,
Ian

I'm considering taking apart both Champs this winter and making a guitar reverb and a guitar power amp.

I'm thinking maybe I'll take the parts from the old cheap Champ clone and make a tube reverb. The 37 watt power transformer will work fine for 3 12AX7, and the little output transformer will make a nice reverb driver if I chose the tank carefully.

Then I'll take the parts from the Uber-Champ and make a single-ended power amp that's very adjustable. That larger 47-watt power transformer has plenty of filament current to run even a KT120 or KT150, or overdrive a 6V6 for dirty. This will use the 15-watt output transformer from the Uber-Champ.

I have several tube guitar preamps.

Except they massively reduce the amount of rectifier "hash" - especially if you're using silicon rectifiers

I've never heard any 'hash' from silicon rectifiers, either with or without a choke - although if it's something that you worry about?, fit 1000pF capacitors across each rectifier diode.

Chokes were there because you couldn't get decent size electrolytics, and you can of course now.

Those who ignore history

Chokes were there because you couldn't get decent size electrolytics, and you can of course now.

That is not just oversimplifying the situation: it is misleading.

To quote from 1995
"Choke-input filters are the butt of derision by modern engineers who have little experience with them and do not understand their many advantages."
Long article on power supply design.
Date: 1995/06/18 Newsgroups: rec.audio.tech Henry A. Pasternack

The differences are (as outlined earlier in this thread)

The addition of a choke has the capacity of spreading the conduction angle of power drawn from the transformer. This reduces peak currents, diode switching stress etc and reduces the noise reflected back through the transformer into other windings. This can help reduce noise problems with bias supplies and heater supplies.

Overbeck, W. P. "Critical inductance and control rectifiers." Proceedings of the IRE 27, no. 10 (1939): 655-659
"the choke-input filter is considered superior because it lowers peak current requirements for the rectifier tubes, it improves the form factor of the current pulses through the rectifier tubes and plate transformer, it provides better regulation to load at the output of the rectifier, and it aids in balancing the currents through the tubes."

M. G. Scroggie a.k.a. 'Cathode Ray': Wireless World, December, 1957.
"The capacitor-input system gives bad regulation "

There is a third style used occasionally in radio - see Input Choke & Resonant Choke Power Supplies for RF Linear Amplifiers by Tony IØJX & Pesa IKØHIT

That is not just oversimplifying the situation: it is misleading.

You can find websites to support any point of view :D

But it's even LESS important here in instrument amps, where people are using valves specifically for their lower quality, and designing circuits to further lower it.

The use of a PSU choke is there to make the supply 'collapse' more easily and further distort the sound - and is a perfectly valid reason for using one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.