Guitar piezo preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And, my shop has not piezzo mic, but I have found this on the net L'ATELIER DE LUTHERIE FABRICE GOUGI/Shretler/Micro pas cher and my store has the piezzo parts ... good idea ?

Thanks !

Finally looked at this link – very anti piezo, those people. But their pickups would definitely require a very different preamp; essentially a mid impedance microphone preamp, preferably balanced (it's pretty obviously designed to plug straight into PA consoles). Looks to me as if you should definitely get a luthier to install it, though, which to me doesn't sound like a cheap solution.

WTF ?! :eek:

Attachments

• ebay.jpg
    ebay.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 184
Similar issue

ThumbUp for all you guys helping us, (two-left-handed LOL) amateurs!

I did some Google-work, and decided for following:

I am building DIY piezo pickup (from Donald Tillman), which is preamp built into guitar cable itself. Just ordered J201 JFET from China. This part is clear, no modifications wanted.
Preamp is divided in 2 parts, of which the 2nd part is 'Phantom Power Box' (also on the link above). XLR jack will be substituted with ordinary 1/4 jack, but this I think know how to do it, since there are 2 pins on XLR jack connected together...
1st question:
- to add output volume control, I think I should substitute R2 with variable resistor? Please some advice about this.
(IMAGE DIY Guitar Preamp - Power Box Modification 1.png)

Since I own Ibanez GA5WCE-NT classical guitar (similar to this one), which already has 9V active preamp (AEQ 303, which was 1st source of buzzing sound) with under-saddle pickup, it crossed my mind if I could use this to power piezo transducer (2 pieces linked together) pickup mounted inside of a guitar; then I coincidently found YouTube video from Peter Sesselmann, where he presents exactly this idea of mine (though he has external piezo pickup). There he mentions a mysterious 'passive mixer' - obviously 'hidden' A) inside 1/4 jack socket and B) under mounting mini-strap.
2nd question:
- from electronic viewpoint, is there really any need for passive mixer in such existing-preamp-to-diy-piezo-pickup formation? If I use my right-side brajn (logic that is), in such formation existing preamp powers piezo pickup 'automatically' and sends the signal to amplifier (though I use guitar-Zoom A2.1u effect - USB sound card input - compjuter (LOL) - USB sound card output - guitar amplifier (obviously in this case having a role of mono-speaker)). Just wondering... I will in any case test this out without 'passive mixer' (trial-and-error approach). What is bothering me (always!) is if any such actions of mine can have a dimming effect on any component mentioned in above link chain (burned out equipment)? :eek:

That's it for now, have some more thoughts...

Beer regards, sorry, I meant best regards,

Simon
S love nia

Attachments

• DIY Guitar Preamp - Power Box Modification 1.png
    DIY Guitar Preamp - Power Box Modification 1.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 181
Same issue Update 01

Regarding Question no. 2:
I have sent Mr. Sesselmann an e-mail, and he quickly replied that (QUOTE) "33k resistor “Y” connection , each signal (pickup) travels through a 33k resistor prior to being joined", with explanation that without seeing Preamp (the existing one on the guitar - AEQ 303 Ibanez) circuit this 33 k resistor should be a starting point.

Best regards,

Simon
S love nia

Hello to everybody, I'm new in here.
I just bought a magnetic pickup to install on my acoustic guitar, but ... it sound so bad (well, I didn't spend a lot on in ;-) ).

I was thinking to try to create a piezo amp system. At first I saw these objects http://tinyurl.com/nmgzpeg ; then I realized that piezo caps are used in clock buzzer, old phones .... easy to find.
I also read that a buffer is needed, I found a million of schemes on the web, but I don't know which one to chose .... is only a buffer needed? So, I'd have the same volume level of a (passive) magnetic pick up? I think that the signal would go in a guitar power amp or directly in the mixer (it depends).

My questions .....

- Is a FET buffer only needed? Which one ? I saw schematics with one FET and 4 resistors only, some other with capacitors, other with 2 FET, another with 1 FET and 1 NPN transistor......
- Could this system sound as much as possible similar to some piezo amp system mounted on guitars by customers? Or is there a very big difference in sounds?
- I read that is better to put piezo cap near the bridge, make difference if it is near high or low strings? If I parallel 2 piezo caps?

- At the end, some "Hi quality" systems have equalizer, so I imagine there's a buffer + preamp with tone control, is there a scheme of something similar?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can give me an help
Jazzrock71

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.