**** me, I bought the wrong box.

I have decided to use an external battery pack. I think it gives me more freedom and I don't have to worry about hum issues. My dilemma is the following: six Ni-Cad 1.2V batteries (2400 mAh) in series gives me 8 volts, I know it should be less but that's what I'm reading. It goes to more than 11 volts with eight batteries in series. I'd prefer six as the battery pack would be lighter. What would you do, iaxxaxxai? Is this circuit very sensitive to over/undervoltage?

* Seven would be ideal, I know, but due to the way I'm doing it, it's got to be six or 8.
This circuit uses about 0.5mA, a 6LR61 alkaline 9v battery will last around
800 hours.
Regards
Mike.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I'm no Japanese. Big Foot more likely.

I measured the box, next I measured my right foot, next I thought: something's wrong here. My foot can't be three times the size of a stompbox. Ridiculous. So no stompbox.

And no bypass switch, yeah, **** the switch. There isn't much space for a switch anyways. The box is less than an inch tall. Next I will post a photo of her insides.

Mclaren2 - There's a LED so it would be less. Anyway now I want to put the battery at the back - like an astronaut. BTW, forza Ferrari.

Attachments

• DSCN.jpg
    DSCN.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN1535DSCN1532.jpg
    DSCN1535DSCN1532.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN1537.jpg
    DSCN1537.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 85
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Well, project completed. It's been a nightmare. Never, never again. It takes me less time to build a tube amp. Thanks to iaxxaxxai for the help.

I'm going to try out a variety of germanium transistors so I will report back to tell you which one sounds the best. It will take me some time thought. Maybe even some sound clips. Just maybe..... I don't enjoy recording.

Attachments

• DSCN1549.jpg
    DSCN1549.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 80
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Hey, been playing for a while now. Man, I've got to say this thing sounds great. I wasn't expecting much because a long time ago I built something similar and it was just OK. Only there's some scratch noise when I turn the volume up and down. It doesn't really bother me though. I just turn the volume to max. and use the guitar pot. It's not a fat sound, just aggressive. It bites. Recommended.

*Haha, I struck gold. No swapping, this OC71 stays. My eardrums are ringing now though.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I have no idea. My Telecaster neck pickup sounds like a SUPER hot bridge pickup with this transistor on so I think it would be a good idea to install it inside the guitar. Very cool sounding booster. I want this sound always on. Haha.

Another thing. I have a 50 watt SS amp - a Hugues & Kettner. Tonally this amp is miles away from my tube amps but when I want to play clean that's the amp for me. Its dirty channel sucks and I never use it. Well, with this thing on I get a very cool, dirty sound from the clean channel. Like it very much.

I also have some OC75's and now I'm thinking of building a Tone Bender with them.

Happy it's working out! Glad I could help. The scratching sound is normal with the volume control. It's because of how it's wired in the circuit. The DC current flowing through it causes it to be scratchy. You can replace it with a 10K fixed resistor and then connect the output cap directly to the junction of the 10K and the transistor's Collector. And then stick a normal style volume control after that, but it never seems to sound the same as how its done in the original circuit. If you don't mind the scratching, I'd keep it as is.
OC71s usually sound great in this. Did you use the larger value input cap?

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Yeah, I'm going to keep it as it is because I don't want to change a thing. I don't even want to change the battery, haha. This thing keeps sounding great - day after day. The sound is complex, it really depends on how you play. It can be very bright and it can sound darkly and sparkly too.

The value of the input cap is 47nF. The voltage at the base is 4.6 volts.

Old thread, new problems :) I want to build a ringmaster with a build in (well filtered) psu, because this effect will be the only one I use and it will sit only on top of a Marshall top, so also no on/off.. I wonder if I then could use the original design with the +9V on the ground rail? As far as I understand, it's not decoupled from the output, so does putting 9V on the Marshalls ground not affect the amp? Thanks!

Ground is ground, 0V by definition.

Use a 9V alkaline, very clean and it will last forever, consumption is very low; power supply of any kind is counter productive and against the idea of using a Rangemaster in the first place.

Worst case you replace it every 3 to 6 Months, don´t be surprised at a 1 year life.

No hum/hiss/buzz/ripple problems AT ALL.

No problem in connecting battery positive to ground, including amp ground, pedal and amp use different circuits and supplies.

Reactions: 1 user