6550s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now I'm not bashing them at all I love them for their monster extended low end and extended highs but where they sound different vs KT88s is the mids 6550s have a "graininess" I really don't like as much while the KT88s are smoother in the mids. Opinions? What do you guys think?

They sound more "forward" too obviously, kt88s sound/feel more subtle/laid back but I think the kt88 mid range is far superior and much more musical and there is something about kt88 harmonics that I like more than 6550s. You could sum up 6550s as big 6l6 with extended highs/lows but a 6l6 doesn't have the grainy thing going on to me. Maybe I need to get me/try some kt66s lol always thought they had a interesting mid range unlike anything else too.

no they are not the same at all, the Chinese/shuguangs are a kt88 for sure as well as the kt66s, some of the Russian variants do raise questions though. I wouldn't buy a current production 6550 at all, heard a lot bad **** about them lol. Now on the other hand the KT88s Chinese/shuguangs are actually pretty badass sounding for not too bad a price at all, good value at least.

It there a newer KT88 that has a more forward low end like a 6550 but with the awesome mid-range like the kt88? lol, kt88 low end is no where near as forward to me as 6550s its still big don't get me wrong but I think its a bit tighter. Or better yet anyone know what current production 6550 that has good mids?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.