Possible intermittent Micalex tube socket?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To answer your question, there is not a type of socket made that has never failed, and intermittant is one common failure mode for any socket.

SOme tubes have slightly fatter pins than other, and once shoved into a socket, they can spread the female elements some, loosening their grip. This alone is enough to cause intermitancies. The material of the socket housing has absolutely nothing to do with the metal contact pins. All the material does is hold them in place. I certainly will not be dragged into some esoteric discussion of tone of sockets, but the FUNCTION of the socket is to make contact with the tube pins, and THAT will not be affected by the material.

Pins can oxidize and make poor contact, likewise tube pins can oxidize and work poorly in sockets. Bent or angled pins can also spread the female pins and loosen them. SOlder to the circuit board or to wires can fail or crack, causing such troubles.

To answer your question, there is not a type of socket made that has never failed, and intermittant is one common failure mode for any socket.

SOme tubes have slightly fatter pins than other, and once shoved into a socket, they can spread the female elements some, loosening their grip. This alone is enough to cause intermitancies. The material of the socket housing has absolutely nothing to do with the metal contact pins. All the material does is hold them in place. I certainly will not be dragged into some esoteric discussion of tone of sockets, but the FUNCTION of the socket is to make contact with the tube pins, and THAT will not be affected by the material.

Pins can oxidize and make poor contact, likewise tube pins can oxidize and work poorly in sockets. Bent or angled pins can also spread the female pins and loosen them. SOlder to the circuit board or to wires can fail or crack, causing such troubles.

Exactly,

however, you should have posted (19) 1 sentence posts instead of a couple paragraphs :D

I had issue once lol, like you ever stuck an old ratty tube in a socket and like wigglin it around to sit flush with the base of the socket and like chunk of one of the pins like really tiny piece at the tip breaks off up in there lol, and the sucker is lodged up in there and can't get it out lol

So maybe it is the issue of sockets being old hence the oxidized pins? another question now say plastic vs micalex vs ceramic are they all fairly equal as far as arc resistance? assuming they are pretty close we are talking about enough power that in reality could theoretically have a mind of its own and burn threw anything it wanted to right? lol

I have never seen a melted ceramic valveholder. Arced across, yes, but surface dirt:- dust, grease or a couple of times the guck that oozes ou of dead electrolytics. Of course, in my time most reasonably priced sockets were made of bakelite, and that physically burns when it starts getting current leaks, so I consider ceramic pretty high glass ;).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.