ISO Traynor YBA2 schematic, 5Y3 rectifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a YBA2 on the bench, this one has a 5Y3 rectifier and 6AV6 preamp tube (along with single 12AX7 and 6V6 pair). I can't seem to dig up any schematic for this amp that has the tube rectifier and odd preamp.

For now it plays, but its overly loud and abundant in low frequency. The 3-cap multi-section can isn't marked so I've got no idea what to swap in.

Voltages thus far:

B+: 350vdc
6v6 plates: 340vdc
6v6 screens: 320vdc
6AV6 plate supply: 305vdc (before 100K plate resistor)
12AX7 (phase inverter?) plates: 212vdc.

Every once in a great while one of those pop up on several forums.

Good luck finding an actual factory schematic with the tube rectifier. As far as I know not a single site has one (I have looked multiple times)

It is safe to assume that as long as you stay under 40uf but over 16uf you will be just fine.
Data sheets for a 5Y3 do list a suggested input cap limited of 20uf but that has never been an in stone value.
NJ7P SQL Tube Database Query.

If memory serves, I seem to remember it being similar to the old Tweed Harvard design. The excess bass can be tamed fairly easily if need be but remember, it was sort of a fairly reasonable priced bass amp

I've got a YBA2 on the bench, this one has a 5Y3 rectifier and 6AV6 preamp tube (along with single 12AX7 and 6V6 pair). I can't seem to dig up any schematic for this amp that has the tube rectifier and odd preamp.

It appears you have an early Bassmate. Have you tried contacting Traynor directly for a schem.?

Traynor late 60's Yba-2a vs early 70's Yba-1 - The Gear Page

For now it plays, but its overly loud and abundant in low frequency.

Isn't that the idea?;)

jeff

Sorry! Totally forgot about this thread.
The drawing is labeled 2009, so not sure about the details. I'm still waiting on confirmation for the job so I haven't had the amp on the bench to check out how it compares. I do know that the first power section resistor is 4.7K in my amp, this one reads as 47K. The listed voltages are unloaded, tubes pulled. Also this is full size. Here ya go...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.