Guitar tube amp self-made

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
and another thing with 6v6 is the ability to play at home well at least more manageable, and I swear between all the manufactures and how different they are, it doesn't matter if they are driven into clipping or not I can hear differences between them. now with the big glass its less noticeable but still there. but its all up to what the Op likes you know, one person's good sound might be someone else's bad sound and vice/versa lol

After just 6L6GC for many many years then trying EL34 I just happened to stumble into EL84 and 6V6 for a real eye-opener.

As far as my little champ, I wish I knew what it would sound like with different output transformers. It's a kit from STF and the output transforemr is really teensie.
http://www.stf-electronics.com/

Here's a directory to 22 popular guitar kit companies:
Amplifier Kits Directory : GuitarKitBuilder

that deluxe kit with about 2 or 3 more gain stage's now that's what I'm talking about lol that one pictured in that link (STF) has those RCA GTAs never tried em but they are suppose be some of the best and sweetest, I can only imagine the harmonic content they have lol. the GTAs are tougher around 1960 was that transition period to the stouter GTA although some earlier stuff can cope with 400-20v on plates and screens they may not like it for very long but my god does it sound amazing lol.

I about picked up some Sylvania GTAs 1 set was the clear box type plate, the other was earlier smoked glass chrome top but I changed my mind, some guys were saying that they both were pretty sterile and harsh, won't know till you try right? same with the Jan/Phillips late production suppose to be sterile as hell, not what wanting at all.

later stuff has the beefed up screen support rods/diameter easily noticeable, the plates can handle voltages, its the screen being the issues. but most 6v6 anyways are not getting pushed past 350-370ish I just like the way they sound with more 400-420ish going on, more pissed of sounding for sure

Ok, it seems right. I have found this schem for 5E3 Deluxe:

http://support.fender.com/schematics/guitar_amplifiers/57_Deluxe_Fender_57_schematic.pdf

do you think is suitable for a first experience?
I.E. i need a not too complicated project, with enough power to hear myself in the middle of drums-bass world, that i can use without PA in little (50 people) live shows, or with PA in a bigger event (4-500 people).
My favorite guitar is a Epiphone archtop, clean (jazzy) or with overdrive (blues - crunch).

Maybe I'm wrong, but a single ended isn't enough for little live shows. What do you think about?

now its getting interesting xD is that really gonna be enough? very opinionated for sure, fighting a loud drummer and god knows what else not sure lol. definitely would need PA for a big event. I'm in process of building something myself but I'm keeping it a secret xD all I know its a very radical design and pretty oddball different lol. Its gonna be killer though lol

did an outdoor gig last year I was playing harmonica but the bass player was using my 60 watt Jansen into a 2x12 cab. fella told me he could here the bass 6 km up the valley where he lives. ok It was at night and in the country so not much other noise round, but... I think he'll be able to here my new harp amp from home too lol.

It really depends on what you mean by an outdoor gig.

Oh and for my 5 cents I'd go 5e3 deluxe too, you can swap out the 6v6's for 6l6's and upgrade the OT later on.

How much power is needed is subjective , i'm a hard rock - metal player and i'm the lead guitar so i need extra power on soloing , i played live more than 100 lives , and still need a 50-100 W head (100 is not that louder than a 50 ), and i use ENGL cabinets too...real problem is due to drummer , and resonances (play at open is easier than playng at pubs )...also if you have a rithm guitar guy how likes V-shape EQ with bass at ten a 100W head is the way to go or shoot him xD
Again , i'm not a fan of monitors , i still prefer to go loud on amp an quiet (or nothing) on monitors , maybe because often monitors are shared or bad monitors start farting after 10 min of show.
In-ear is the way :p

the first amp i built was a 5e3 in kit form from here
mablexporting.com
ok its Chinese but works ok specially if ya put sum of JR's nos 6v6 tubes in the finals.
I later changed the power filter caps 100Mu and upped the ouput transformer tweaked the bios resistor and with 6l6's from jj i was geting a good 55watts.
oh I allso changed the 5y3 to a gz34

Last edited:
Ok yeah with big gigs like that yeah might need some extra power and 100w is actually louder than 50watts but by only roughly 3 decibels whitch most people will never hear the difference, it all depends on output configuration too. like in what ever amp tube output quad of what you pull have tube you cut power wattage in halfish only 3 decibels like pulling a pair from a pp quad circuit that output impdence changes some guys actually like that mismatch that occurs it makes tubes operate on wrong cuve points pretty much but you do get some interesting different sounds but is it healthy on the circuit? probably not lol hard on tubes I'm sure but them fender ouput trannies could take a mismatch pretty well dealing with flyback power possibly burning out a winding with no problems it was the marshall's that didn't like it at all and blew up xD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.