Grid choke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Direct coupling allows to go into AB2 operating mode, driving the power tube grid into positive voltage against the cathode. You will get grid current and as a consequence a lower saturation voltage between anode and cathode. This leads to more clean power. In my case that mode has increased the clean output power from 300W to ~ 350W.

The second effect is that you will have a stable bias for the power tubes.

You can see here how I have implemented the direct coupling: Bass Power Amp with GU50 . It includes also a limitation of the maximum positive grid voltage to protect the grids.

I see high-voltage regulator kits of various kinds. I also see high-voltage grid bias supplies that monitor the cathode current. They react slowly, not to the signal, supposedly. Seems to me the grid choke is a good alternative, because it makes such a high impedance to the grid at audio frequencies. I kind of like that, and it should be a good thing with 6 output tubes in parallel. I will probaby start with changing from the stock half-wave diodes to a full-wave rectifier and bigger cap to just one choke, then a resistor and bias pot for each tube. If the choke causes it to lose bass, maybe I can just add a carefuly-tuned cap after the choke before I resort to multiple chokes.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.