String noise/squeek

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perhaps because the tone stack hasn't been put in? Other than that, not sure yet. My first build of an amp, and kind of my own design, in that it's cobbled together from bits and pieces and ideas from elsewhere.

Two 6N11s and an LM3875.

It probably just needs a treble roll off as has been said. At the moment it has nothing rolling off the high end except grid stoppers.

String noise/squeek
The guitar amp I'm making seems to amplify string sliding noise more than is usual. Does anyone know what frequency this typically occurs at, so I can filter it?
Short answer, don't.
You will kill sparkle, brightness, definition.
Improve your chording and firger technique and you won't have problems.
Just curious: what speakers are you using?
Is it the one you showed lying on the table, without a proper cabinet?
If so, correct that first, you are killing mid and bass big time, so only treble is left.

Short answer, don't.
You will kill sparkle, brightness, definition.
Improve your chording and firger technique and you won't have problems.
Just curious: what speakers are you using?
Is it the one you showed lying on the table, without a proper cabinet?
If so, correct that first, you are killing mid and bass big time, so only treble is left.
It's a Marshall Goldback. Yes, that one on the desk, though it's back in its cab now, and still squeaky, though less so. I've been playing guitar for maybe 30 yrs, so I don't think it is particularly technique, as my technique hasn't caused a problem on other set ups.

But yes, not enough mid and bass may be the issue.

could it be the opposite, and that you have less than usual low end amplifying
so when you crank it up your top gets too hot

As was said here too.

Thanks guys, am going to have a tweak.

I tend to the same answers as tinitus:

Did you make a coarse check of frequency response ? Maybe some coupling C is too small or something else is giving you a insufficient low-end response.

As already mentioned the frequency response of guitar pickups is very load dependant. Electrically (i.e. without looking at things like PU position, pole size, single-coil or humbucker etc) they usually form a second order lowpass with a peak before the final drop. Your amp might be unluckily loading the PU(s) in such a way that you end up with the peak in an unpleasant frequency range.

Regards

Charles

I tend to the same answers as tinitus:

Did you make a coarse check of frequency response ? Maybe some coupling C is too small or something else is giving you a insufficient low-end response.

As already mentioned the frequency response of guitar pickups is very load dependant. Electrically (i.e. without looking at things like PU position, pole size, single-coil or humbucker etc) they usually form a second order lowpass with a peak before the final drop. Your amp might be unluckily loading the PU(s) in such a way that you end up with the peak in an unpleasant frequency range.

Regards

Charles
Thanks for the response, yeah checked cap sizes coupling and cathode decoupling, and the bootstrap cap is ok (thanks to the other thread). The load on the guitar is a 1M grid leak resistor and then a 47k grid stopper to the grid itself, which is not in the least biased hot, so not leaky.

I covered 3/4 of the back of my cab and it's sounding much better, so i suspect it's cab and speaker issues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.