Low-end cab for distorted guitar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe someone out there has some insight into this problem I'm having.

I'm trying to run a distorted lead guitar into an Ampeg SVT-6 Pro,(750wRMS@8ohm) driving an Eminence 15" Kilomax (2500wRMS@8ohm) in a cabinet that measures 18"x20"x33 with a 6" port. You would think this should handle anything I give it, guitar-wise, but it doesn't. The Ampeg peaks too early and has blown numerous speakers already. Smoked coils. It's as if the whole rig is "choking" and not giving me a bass note like I want and yet able to "blow" all these different speakers that I've tried so far. With 750w RMS from the amp, and a 2500w RMS speaker, there should be loads of volume and bass, shouldn't there? It's not kicking my *** like I thought it would.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
why are you running a lead guitar through a bass head?
what kind of stomp box are you using?
what settings do you have on the lot?
sounds like you reached the point of deminishing returns i.e. saturation exhibiting foldover at various frenquencies
distortion is double edge sword wielded by the right master it can be awesome but misapplied it can produce ultrasonic distortion which will result in voice coil heating right fast not to mention power supply stress!!

Last edited:
I'm trying to run a distorted lead guitar into an Ampeg SVT-6 Pro,(750wRMS@8ohm) driving an Eminence 15" Kilomax (2500wRMS@8ohm) You would think this should handle anything I give it, guitar-wise, but it doesn't. The Ampeg peaks too early and has blown numerous speakers already. Smoked coils. It's as if the whole rig is "choking" and not giving me a bass note like I want and yet able to "blow" all these different speakers that I've tried so far. With 750w RMS from the amp, and a 2500w RMS speaker, there should be loads of volume and bass, shouldn't there? It's not kicking my *** like I thought it would.
Yes, many.
1) read the datasheet.:eek:
1200W RMS , not 2500.
2) your (clean) 750W RMS amp can and will happily provide twice as much (1500W) *continuous* squarewave, all day long.
Starting to see where I'm heading?
3) it's very difficult to dissipate 1200W anyway, they are on the cutting edge of technology there.
Ok, but *can* they?
Probably, *if* you use them as intended, as *Subwoofers*, meaning *long* excursion, where the voice coil moves along a lot of air, self cooling, and all parts of it dissipate comparable power.
Since you are using a guitar, nothing of that applies.
Without having seen it, I'm sure your burnt voice coils show a center band which still looks "metallic" and more or less normal, surrounded by both ends toasted into carbon, with base material twisted and bent.
3) subwoofers are specially designed to push where all other speakers fail, between, say, 30 to 80Hz ; you are not making it happy with your program.
That speaker deserves a proper box and being fed what it likes, from a loud amplifier but equipped with a good limiter, the way the PA guys use it.
4) you are wasting it; mule kick in the chest for guitar means a peak around 90 or 100 Hz, yoy have a speaker meant to kick much lower..
5) make a 4x12" with 4xEVM12L or similar, or if it makes you happy, use EVM15L's.
Drop tuned chords will crush your stomach, believe me.

Thank you all for responding. This weekend when it's nice and quiet I'm going to respond with what I'm trying to achieve. Trying to think at work just doesn't work.
In a nutshell though what I'm looking to do is what I saw on the movie "Back to the Future" when Michael J Fox is in his room with that huge speaker and he hits a chord and it blows him into the wall. I want to get that from a 15" and a good amp.
More to come tomorrow............ and thanks for listening!:eguitar:

In a nutshell though what I'm looking to do is what I saw on the movie "Back to the Future" when Michael J Fox is in his room with that huge speaker and he hits a chord and it blows him into the wall. I want to get that from a 15" and a good amp.
Well, driving a De Lorean car will NOT send you back 130 years.:eek:
By the same token, playing a chord into a 15" speaker will NOT push you back 12 feet.:eek:

Start driving a line between Fantasy and Reality and notice which side you are on.:p

Or , in other words, "It's HOLLYWOOD baby !!! ":D

Just in case you didn't notice, this guy does not exist either --> :hohoho:

LOL........I hear ya. I know that's impossible, but I'd like to get "close"? LOL

I'm already running a Marshall into a 4x12 and looking to add to my bass response with a dedicated 15" just for the lows.......more of the "Mule Kick" at 150hz and below.

What about this bugger in there:
BlackDeath Subwoofers | VIBE Audio

Coils wired in series. By watts law, it should handle the Ampeg full out shouldn't it? Even if it IS square wave distorted guitar?

By watts law, it should handle the Ampeg full out shouldn't it? Even if it IS square wave distorted guitar?
1) It's a Car Audio speaker, can't trust *any* parameter they claim, simple as that.
Well, ok, *maybe* I can trust its diameter is 15" ... but not much more than that. ;)
2) what part of "you do not need a subwoofer" you don't understand?
As useful as a parachute in a submarine.:eek:
Just sayin' :p

Here's two of them:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The most popular use is 4 of them into a square, closed back 4x12"cabinet.
Often angled to direct some extra sound into the player's ears.

*This* is what I'm suggesting: same cab loaded with 4 special 400W each EVM12L , "Black Label" model:
DV019_Jpg_Regular_302002_x4_mounted_in_cab.jpg

Bone crushing.

A clean guitar has a higher bass content than a distorted guitar, because the distortion is mostly harmonics. The harder you crank it the lower the total bass content in the composite signal. The lowest note on a standard guitar is about 82 Hz. With drop tuning you might get into the high 60's before fret buzz from loose strings tames your playing style. 82 Hz even powered by a 1.21 Jiggowatt amplifier will not tear down the house walls.

I have a system that shakes the whole house and can be heard inside the house across the street. It uses a single budget 15 inch Dayton sub with the matching 300 watt plate amp. How????? Well, we know that 82 Hz and a cheap sub doesn't work, so what do we do? We need to synthesise one or two lower octaves and send them, and only them, to the sub. The regular guitar signal goes unprocessed to the guitar amp.

There are several devices on the market for synthesizing a lower octave, but most of them only work on single notes at a time. I have experimented with several circuits that worked with varying degrees of success. The better ones used a seperate piezo pickup on the lower two or three strings, feeding each to an octave divider.

The simplest way (but not the cheapest) to do this is to fit your guitar with a MIDI pickup and converter box. I got a used Roland system on Ebay several years ago and still use it. You set it up to output the same notes that you play on the guitar, and route the MIDI data to one or more synthesizers. Set up one synth to play a phat Moog bass line one octave below your guitar signal. Route its output to a seperate amp (the SVT maybe) that will be happy with a bass guitar signal. This plays down to 41 Hz. Use this sound for maximum volume. I am using a home made bass amp with 125 watts and a single 15 inch Eminence bass guitar speaker.

Set up another synth, or another voice on the same synth for two octaves below the guitar notes. This will go down to 20.5 Hz so a real sub is needed. I am using the Dayton sub, but I don't need to blow the house down. This doesn't need to be super loud, but the low bass provides the realism.

The original guitar signal goes to a conventional guitar amp which can be cranked to 11, or as clean as you want. Volume pedals on the guitar and bass synth give the system more flexibility for playing live.

So this speaker: http://www.vibeaudio.co.uk/car/blackdeath-subwoofers/ and the SVT-6Pro with a crossover wouldn't work?

No.

The speaker states a peak of 20,000 watts.

So what? It's a ***CAR*** speaker.

I'm sure the RMS of this speaker could handle the Ampeg full out and completely square-waved and distorted without frying the coil.

What makes you sure of that?

Only thing you can be sure of (and not even much certainty of that) , is that *maybe* it will handle the output of this "6000 (Car) Watts" amplifier:
10004931_title_auto_endstufe_auna.jpg

Which you can get for all of GBP99 (around 160U$)
Hey!! It even has high tech Leds, how's that?
Auna W2-AC600 6-Channel Car Amplifier with LED Lights 6000W
GBP99.90 Incl. VAT
RRP: GBP129.90
(you save 23%)

What am I not seeing here?

Hi,

I'd guess annoying the bass player, more than anything else. Live,
do your job and don't make anyone else's job any more difficult.

As a bass player I can't do with guitarists with octave pedals
and the like, they are far worse than guitarists playing bass,
at least for the latter no bass players are forced to suffer ;)

If you can't get everything you need out of a 4x12 Marshall
cabinet, I'd suggest your kidding yourself about more low
end. Doesn't work for bass, and certainly not for guitar.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.