Low-end cab for distorted guitar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i think the linchpin in this case is driving the input of the svt with the output of the JMP-1.
i might be wrong but after looking at what little info there is on the JMP even though it's only a 1 watt output it intended to drive an 8 ohm speaker not a high gain "pre-amp" input (of which the input impedance is probably 10K or greater) if there's a line level out of the jmp i'd run it to the power amp patch point on the svt.

hey stringking
i'm trying to pear back to not blowing up drivers first.
as far as speaker cabs go if you have the 8 10 cab for the SVT at your disposal you'd be surprised at just how much deep bass it can produce!
if been at the helm of mega watt (not giga watt) PA's and have been sonically bludgeoned by bassplayers with old school 300W SVT's and their 8/10 cabs!

There's no reason why a suitable number of bass guitar speakers wouldn't "work". The 10's are usually designed to run ported and go down to 40 or so. Don't need that. Also don't need the midrange output, unless you go with the bass guitar speakers only, but that would be a totally different kind of sound.

I think for the money, the EVM15L would do just fine. I've played through a 4x12 with the 12L's and it sounded awesome, but 4x15 in a much larger cab might get me closer to blowing myself into the sheetrock.:eek:

The idea seemed to strike a chord, no pun intended, with a few others on this forum so I think I'm going to try it. Just not sure of the JMP-1 pre into the SVT. May lose some of the tube harmonics from the Marshall power amp. But heck.....the SVT should crank this 4x15 cab moving lots of air.:smash:

May lose some of the tube harmonics from the Marshall power amp.
Don't worry.
JMP1 has killer sound, and offers the final sound "already cooked up, ready to serve".
Real Marshall distortion, in a very versatile package.
I've sold tons of MosFet 300W amps driving 4x12" pairs, driven from JMP1.
*Very* good sound, and at any level, from garage to Stadium.

If you want to have a final tweak in your sound (don't overdo it), you *may* plug into the SVT input, but use the low sensitivity one, or pad it , if available.
And in JMP1 select the lower output level.
You are starting with a very good distortion, don't contaminate it with the distortion of an overdriven 1st SVT stage.
Which *maybe* doesn't sound *bad*, but it definitely won't sound "Marshally".
But now you are getting real close.

I know precisely what you want to do. All the counsel is good in this "row" but JMFahey is right on point.

You must run a bass speaker array designed for, or compatible with, the SVT. And you must attenuate the incoming signal from the JMP1. This could be done in myriad ways, but the easiest might be using the attenuated output already in the JMP1:

Low Power switch on the rear panel - a "neighbor-friendly" feature that drops the output from 1 watt to 0.1 watt
Shielded cable should probably be used for the connection.

Another idea already touched on, would be the biamp scheme. This would require another speaker cabinet to be driven directly by the JMP1 as normal. But as touched on as well, there may be a phasing problem, which is not easy to correct. But it may not be a problem if it is only off a little, especially with all that noise! It is certainly worthy of experimentation, since used, regular guitar cabinets are a dime a dozen.

Sreten's comments should be considered. You will have to "negotiate" with your bass player, if you still have one after. You are interdicting into his territory.

So....first and foremost, I'd like to thank EVERYONE who contributed to this post. Reading back over 50 posts took awhile, but it was worth it because of what I learned from all of you. I think the best thing I learned was that four 15's is better than one....no matter what the wattage the one is. And, it's all about moving air and and speaker efficiency.
If my math is correct, four 15's equals sixty inches of speaker.....in a sense, and THAT is what will bring me closer to what I'm looking for. With the JMP-1 running low level into the SVT and into the 4x15 large cab, it should CRUSH.:smash: Or I didn't learn s__ ............LOL!

Aight, I'm off to the lumber yard for the cab and Google for the EVM's.

When I hit that A-chord and it blows me into the wall......I'll take a pic and post it.:eguitar:

Thanks all !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.