Gibson Goldtone amp GA-30 RVS (stereo)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am wondering if someone has modified a Gibson GA-30RVS (stereo) and would share some info. It has too much gain and white noise. The noise is probably induced by the chips used to drive the reverb and buffer the effects loop. I am after a clean tone suitable for Jazz. Help and suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.

Schematics are available from here: http://images.gibson.com/Lifestyle/Support/Files/Schematics/GA30RVS.pdf

Well, there are a couple of things.

1) The tone controls are pretty close to a Fender 'blackface' circuit, but with an additional half 12AX7 as a common cathode gain stage (labeled "EXTRA GAIN STAGE"), and then a cathode follower to drive the tone stack. You are probably keeping the switch RL1A and RL1B in the "clean" position, correct?

2) The tone stack has a lot to do with the character of the sound you get. Turnover points, which frequencies are boosted, phase response of the filters, etc. all put their stamp on the tonal character of the amp.

3) The power amp sections are pretty close to a Fender 'blackface' circuit too, except that they're using a 12AX7 as the long-tailed pair (LTP) phase splitter, driving a pair of EL84 output tubes instead of 6L6's, and no global negative feedback loop. The end result is a very sensitive amp that can be overdriven easily.

Making that particular amp suitable for a clean sound like you'd hear from Kenny Burrell or Jim Hall is going to be an interesting project.

Are you sure you wouldn't rather start out with a different question, like, "What kind of amp will give me a clean tone suitable for jazz playing?"

--

Also, by a "clean tone suitable for Jazz," do you mean a tone like Jim Hall, Pete Bernstein or Kenny Burrell, or more like John Scofield or Mike Stern? Or maybe you're thinking more like Bill Frisell? Or Herb Ellis? Tal Farlow?

What guitar are you using? Is it an archtop electric? Solid body? Humbucking pickups, or single coil?

Last edited:
Also, by a "clean tone suitable for Jazz," do you mean a tone like Jim Hall, Pete Bernstein or Kenny Burrell, or more like John Scofield or Mike Stern? Or maybe you're thinking more like Bill Frisell? Or Herb Ellis? Tal Farlow?

What guitar are you using? Is it an archtop electric? Solid body? Humbucking pickups, or single coil?

Hi Rogon,
I have archtop electric guitars. re: tone, my preferences are: Julian Lage, Jimmy Bruno, Norman Brown, Paul Jackson jr, etc.

I'm only familiar with Jimmy Bruno out of that particular group, but last I looked, he was playing through a Henriksen amp -- Jazz Guitar Amplifier: Henriksen Jazz Amp: light, powerful, inexpensive, small, jazz guitar amplifier -- which is solid state.

Paul Jackson Jr, according to the wikipedia (not sure about accuracy of that), plays Marshall and Mesa amps. High gain, designed for distortion. So I'm confused.

Norman Brown allegedly uses Polytone amps, which are solid state for sure.

In this picture --

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

-- Julian Lage is using a 1970s vintage Fender combo amp. That's my amp of choice as well.

So, I'm not sure I have a clear picture of what you're after. Those are four players with very different sounds, and very different amplifiers.

--

My rig, back when I was playing regularly, was a Gibson Howard Roberts guitar (the fully hollow one, not the later "Fusion") and a Fender Deluxe Reverb from the mid-1970s. FWIW...

--

Last edited:
The effects loop will be the hard part, but there may be kits for it. I have never built any of the commercially available kits, so I don't know how good or bad any of them might be.

I am in the US, so I'm not familiar with kits available in Europe. I do know that Mojotone sells cabinets, chassis, and other parts for making reproduction Fender amplifiers.
Blackface Style Amplifier Kits - Mojotone.com

The Deluxe Reverb is 20 watts, with reverb. I suppose you could add an effects loop. Personally, I don't see the point. It's more trouble than it's worth. I never used lots of effects. But then, Kurt Rosenwinkel does, and he gets amazing sounds out of them. Rumor has it that he's using a Fender Twin Reverb (big, heavy, 85 watts with dual 12" speakers). If that's so, then he doesn't use an effects loop, unless somebody modded his Twin with one.

Another place for gtr amp kits: http://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_60a.htm

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.