Squealing Amp - Dodgy Service Job?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

First post here. I just had a service job done on a Blackheart BH5 guitar amp. I had blown the output transformer by playing at full blast with a full band a little too often (oops haha).

So I decided to try out a different OT that I had seen recommended by a few different sites - a Hammond 125ESE.

Following the job the amp is really noisy and squealing quite badly as I turn up the volume. The actual pitch of the squeal changes as I turn up the volume.

I thought maybe it could be the new valves, but when I opened up the amp I could see that the OT was slightly off axis from being 90 degrees perpendicular to the Power Transformer.

IMGDEAD]

Hopefully the above link works.

Could this be responsible for the noise that I'm hearing?

Last edited:
Frank has a good point as wiring the primary (or secondary for that matter) the wrong way will invert the feedback signal and cause this problem. A big presumption though that this amp uses what should be negative feedback, bearing in mind it is a guitar amp built more for raw grunt than audio perfection. But as this problem has only occurred since changing the OT then a very valid point and worthy of a check. The howling varying with the volume control certainly steers ones thoughts in this direction. Just another thought though, isn't that output Tranny a little close to the ECC83 on the input? I know it has a screening can, it's just that it doesn't seem right somehow, let's say I would not have designed the layout in that way. Les

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.