UK : Fender Frontman 15R 8" 8 ohm 25W speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Fixing one of these making farting noises. Quickly traced to the drive unit.
Further analysis involved destroying the driver and finding a bubble of burnt
insulation on the driver voice coil causing the farting rubbing noises.
(tapping the cone around the driver indicated the internal problem).

Not an expensive driver (or amplifier), so any one in the UK have a suitable
8" guitar driver in their spare parts cupboard, something very like this :

Originals - Eight 15 - Celestion - Guitar, Bass & Pro Audio Speakers or better.

It must be an 8 ohm 8" designed for guitar, high Fs, but lowish Q,
as the cabinet is sealed back with two halfhearted front vents.

rgds, sreten.

Nothing wrong with the above as a fix, just interested in better for less.

Last edited:
*If* you were in USA, I'd suggest an excellent and inexpensive Jensen MOD 1025 (brighter) or a 1035 (smoother), but I think they are not much available in UK.
You live in Celestion land, even if made in China.
Now, if you want to buy cheap and acceptable, maybe you can get at EBay some 10" guitar speaker pulled from a Peavey, Frontman or similar, for peanuts.
They are all about the same: light stamped basket, 73 or 86 mm magnet, 25mm voice coil, light ribbed cone. Same as your "Eight 15".
Maybe you can get a Celestion G1025, used in the cool Lead 12; or a G10L35 , similar to the heavier MOD I suggested, both with 100mm magnets and 32mm coils.
But you'll have to search around, lots of people upgrade their original speakers for something expensive and junk the old ones or accept a couple quid for them.

You can buy expensive ones, but the common 8" guitar speakers are none of them fancy. Ones from Peavey and Marshall and any other brand of small amp will work as well as the stock ones. These are entry level amps, what we call practice amps, and the speakers they use tend to be generic, not super designed for tone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.