Possible Bias issue??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok amp is Crate stealth 50 etc 4 6v6, 312ax7 PP I now have the 2 outer tubes pulled so running on the inner 2(JJ6v6) Now it has 420v on plates and about 410 on screens now it has adjustable Negative grid voltage the range to set it is between -37 and -34 well off the bias pot is that resistor junction I take reading there its set to -37 with the pot in full clockwise position, now when I go to pin 5 etc I get -30 does that even sound right? now that I think about it doesn't lol sounds hot right? could of of swore in the past I had a closer together reading I was using a different meter though so who knows but as far as I know component values were good, some of you guys gotta have more idea about this than I do help me out please.

well before when I checked it I had the GE black-plates in so I guess I need to check it again I'm assuming and 1 of them was acting kind of gassy etc when I got that -30 reading using a different meter and I had the JJs in and I swore as low as it would go on pin 5 was like -34 so guess I need to check it again etc the GEs 1 of them would just get warm it lit up properly etc but the other one would get smoking *** hot not red-plating or anything but kind of acting like that gassy scenario where the other would get loaded down etc

jr
can i ask what the original reason for getting in there with your trusty multimeter and checking your bias was?
and don't take this the wrong way but if you don't understand what is wrong with your statement
"maybe i need to see what is between pin 5 and pin 8?"
stop put the test leads down i don't want you or your amp to get hurt.
not knowing your skill level if your statement of having different voltages on the grids (pin 5) of your 6V6's is indeed the case you could be looking at a bad phase inverter coupling cap

Last edited:
I might have messed something up though, because that Fluke I had something was wrong with it like when I checked the negative supply off the pot that resister junction network, I had it set to -37 well got like a retarded low reading like -4 lol I looked down and that GE was a smoldering red-plate from hell rofl though it was gonna blow up lol it was bad man so went and got my Cen-tek it it worked gave -37 so might have prematurely fried that ge because my meter crapped out on me lol now its acting like I messed something else up in the circuit lol

might say hell with it lol judging by how old those Caps look(Marcon) its probably getting close for cap job anyways and that's good time I can check everything else out anyways I got a nice assortment of some ELNAS and Panasonic's just dieing to be put in there xD and I want experiment with a few mods myself lol I been putting it off lol I'm gonna discharge her tonight and really go through everything see how it goes.

the not quite right sound of your amp is indeed a fault
i don't want to discourage you from learning more about troubleshooting your own amp but you should make yourself and me a promise anytime if your not sure what do or what to look for and just how to test and check things stop seek help first.sometimes what you don't know can hurt
in your current situation it might be best to bring your ailing amp to a reputable service dude and see if your local library has a copy of jack darr's "guitar amplifier handbook" it's a good primer or check out the "TrainWreck Pages" online

I can do it man Almost killed myself already(filter caps discharging through my arm) I'm not trying to do it again there is some bleeder resisters 2 by the main filter caps both are 56k 2watt so it bled some power already and no I'm not doing the old school screw driver discharging technique, grounding them out to the chassis etc good way to blow up something else and weld that damn bastard to the chassis rofl I'm gonna play it safe rig up a jumper with a resistor that will be more than capable and go to ground etc, a few of them resistors look old or got hot etc so I'll see what I find. I already went through hell and back with ******** techs that try to ripp you off, so to hell with them that's why I started doing this **** myself.

all the caps look good but that doesn't mean much I know but like I said I have a bunch and **** load of spare resistors, I'm worried more about them old looking resistors and maybe check the ICs while I'm at it just check everything and replace damn near anything I can lol it needs it for sure the quality of caps in the stealth isn't exactly that good lol

Ok now getting my head out my *** etc lol hunting down the source for that sound change I had....lol I started from the beginning I opened up the back plate to my Ibanez JS1000 discovered a shitty ground connection for the bridge pup on the tone pot etc and that cap had a burnt spot in it how I have no clue someones previous shitty soldering attempts? lol but any ways I said hell with rock out 80s style bypassed that damn pot completely and grounded at the - terminal on the input jack HOLY **** absolutely SCREAMS now lol its like a totally different guitar now and amp sounds like 10x better lol more open and better clarity and just more 3D and natural sounding should of done that long time ago lol

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.