GE black-plate 6V6GT Test

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have something like 70 6V6GT and 40 6V6G on my shelf (mostly sorted into matched pairs and quads on my AVO MKIII). I've used both RCA's and Brimars and both are good BUT in my DIY 6V6 PP Amp I run 6V6G (ST Shaped) from the Sydney Australia AWV Factory which are stunning.

As backups for that amp I have some of these from Bob (my local tube supplier). These sound almost as good (I was pleasantly surprised by them).
2 x 6V6GT / 6n6C REFLEKTOR MIL. POWER TUBES * NOS * MATCHED PAIR * | eBay.
Cheers,
Ian

Last edited:
the stealth I measured 420v on plates and about 400-410 on screens so whatever goes in it gets pushed pretty hard lol

Good point - I have run those Russian Tubes in my DIY Guitar Amp at 300V and in my DIY HiFi Amp at 350V (Ultralinear) BUT I have no idea if they will cope with 400V+.

This (voltage withstand) is generally not an issue with old genuine 6V6 because they were often used in B&W TV sets as Vertical Deflection Amplifiers.
See this
http://www.triodeel.com/6v6_p3.gif
Anode Voltage of 350V with pulses to 1200V max.

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited:
what you posted was GTA version which was rated for 14watts max plate dissipation instead of the GT version was 12watts but even the old GT version most were easily capable with a 400-420v on plates where all the design center ratings were like 300-350v lol and the screens were rated low as hell too seems most of the old stuff can handle it so what the hell is going on? lol with today's technology we can't make a 6v6 thats capable of high voltages? and one that will last more than one year? lol Did Aliens help them build it back then or what? lol I am fascinated how they could build something like that back then with that technology/tooling just nuts lol

this kinda steers into rumors and stuff I have heard about some special coatings on plates and screens that were pretty hazardous to people/environment so basically EPA and whoever stepped in something like that lol No doubt though there had to be some kind of secret going on with manufacturing techniques but them guys must have took there secrets to their graves lol or just the simple fact that when silicon transistors first broke out and they put tube technology on the back burner so to speak lol

I have never told anyone this because they would probably think I am crazy as hell maybe I am who knows or would never believe it but that day I got lit up really bad from the stealth filter caps discharging into my arm and voltage/current went up my shoulder into my brain I started convulsing and twitching violently BUT inside my mind I was part of the Circuit it was almost like I had a first person view of flowing through every component the tubes everything WHILE the Circuit was alive I know it sounds crazy as **** but I swear man I'm telling you the truth lol it was really vivid man crazy **** I still find it hard to believe I'm still alive after that incident

ok great news now pulled stealth out of chassis its fixed bias but has adjustable negative grid voltage I was checking the bias at near by 2 junction resistors by the bias pot as soon as I touch the resistor 1 probe and other probe to main ground I seen a horrible reading that about made me **** myself -3.1 when its suppose to be between -34 and -37 well about 5 seconds after I got that reading I started hearing a very faint hum I looked down at the GE that sucker Red-plated BIG TIME and I mean bad on verge of glass getting ready to be in my face I shut her down just in time so now im kinda pissed that GE is probally stressed all to hell now will report back see if it survives lol

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.