cool stuff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys new to forums here I just wanted opinions about my setup here
I have Crate stealth 50 4 6v6 3 12ax7 Lee Jackson Design now this amp kicks *** for as cheap it is comes kinda close to all them 80s tones but problem is finding tubes that sound decent for it so far I have had the JJ 6v6s in it but they don't sound anything like a 6v6 more like a 6l6 huge bass response but they have pretty harsh highs/sterile sound well ones I had lasted about year before they started rattling to death/mechanical noise so I dumped them and scored some NoS 1955 CBS clear glass black-plate 6v6gts now the sound was improved I lost a lot of bass now but the mids and highs are smoother and do sing a bit better more vintage sounding basically. From what I understand the CBS are just a fair quality tube, so a Question I have if I score some Brimars or RCAs will there be some magical holy **** I cant believe this tone? lol and also my preamp section has some supposedly Nos Brimar ecc83s but they have no date codes and plate structure is a little different looking (grey plate)they maybe relabels but of what I have no clue they sound pretty warm and crunchy tad bit bright but not as much gain as i thought they would be should I score some Nos RFTs? I know they are pretty dark sounding which is good the stealth its self is a pretty bright amp in its own right. and btw B+ on plates right now is about 420v, screens a little less The CBS are acting Perfect with that voltages they are biased fairly on conservative side too they are going strong still after 1 year of abuse so far not a hint of red-plating at all and current draw is still within 3ma of each other so they are sturdy and handling it. You guys seem pretty knowledgeable about this stuff What tubes power and preamp should I be hunting for to wake the stealth up even further or possible modds like output transformer etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.