speaker attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sure this has been covered before BUT i spent an hour searching threads that weren't what i was after(may just be may poor search skills lol). so here is the question
How do i build an veriable to go between my amp and speaker (so as to get the over driven valve sound at a lower volume). I understand its just a mater of resistace but how do i mix between the speaker and the risitor. amp is a 30 watt 5e3 clone reworked for harmonica.
All Help is greatly appreciated.

I think what you want to search for is "L pad". It's a simple array of a series and a parallel resistor that will reduce the current to the speaker while keeping the impedance the amp sees the same.

As Loudthud said, they "kill tone" to some degree, perhaps most noticeably they reduce the "feel" of the amp because the amp won't respond the same into a resistor as it does into to a dynamic loudspeaker. Then there's the fact the speaker won't be driven as hard, so you lose some harmonic distortion there, and there's good ole' Fletcher Munson curve, telling us things won't sound the same at lower volumes even if everything else was equal.

Still, a cranked 5e3 loses more from being turned down than it does from driving an attenuator, so if you just EQ things a bit* and accept the fact it will feel/sound like a slightly different amp, you can get raging tube distortion at low levels.

* that is, add some high and low pass elements to your L-pad, sort of a crossover with a big hole in the middle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.