Can I wire speakers like this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can i wire a set of speakers like this? If so, will I get 8 ohms?

I've built a cabinet for the two 8 ohm speakers (4ohms), and want to have the last one as an external cabinet.
The amp does 4-8 ohms.

Other options?

350q6g8.jpg

Tommi

Last edited:
Adding speakers not always increments the audio output. In fact, the power from the amp is distributed over speakers in directly ratio of their impedances, but if they improperly phased, they substract the sound, and be sure that the 4 ohm is capable of carrying the entire current, then it will blown.

And, in addition, in the case the speakers are properly phased, in some positions of audition, because of constructive/destructive interference between sound sources, sound cancels.

Such as shown above, you would get a "nominal" 8ohm load. Having two identical drivers in parallel is OK. But sticking that pair in series with a different, outboard driver, that does not sound like a good idea.

Is the point to get more bass? Get an inexpensive plate amp for this 4ohm 12".

IG

Thanks.

The point with the 4 ohm 12" was to cover more high mids. It's got a pretty small magnet, nice sound.
But I'm not gonna it then.
I'll make another amplifier.

It rather sounds like you're talking musical instrument ( i.e. guitar?) "amp" with built-in speaker(s), in which case the "full range" forum might not elicit the most cogent replies - if you haven't done so already, try the Live Sound sections

Hi,

Smply try it and see what happens. Worst case its simply not as good
as either cabinet on their own. If the 12" is more a mid high driver
put an inductor across it so it doesn't affect the 2x10" 4 ohm bass.

(Cabinets must be in series for the parallel inductor.)

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.