Weird issue with piezo microphone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, first post here.
I have been reading all the various threads about piezo's and amps/preamps. I am a bit confused as to whether a piezo actually does not a preamp or not.
I am trying to drive a 4ohm speaker (possibly 8ohm if I go with a different speaker) and I am using for testing purposes a 0.5watt amp that I bought from Radioshack. If I plug my iPod into the input with the speaker in the output everything works as expected, but as soon as I plug the piezo in to the input then I get no sound... I suspected that I need a preamp for the piezo, but I then noticed that if I plug the piezo into the input and headphones as the ouput then I get full sound from the piezo.
Does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening? They are Sony DR-ZX701 headphones. The speakers are just some crappy speakers I took out of an iPod dock and the piezo I bought from Sparkfun.

Thanks,
Adam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.