Capacitor to reduce switch off bang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi

my cheap marshall guitar amp makes a really loud bang when I switch it off..

I've read that soldering a capacitor across the mains switch might reduce this noise
(presumably across live and neutral - UK mains 240v)

but what value and voltage and what capacitor type should I use?

thanks for replies - it's an MG15 CDR
yes I turn volume to zero and turn reverb down but it still sounds like a gunshot
(overdrive is turned down too)

I've tried hitting the switch quickly and tried pushing it very gently.. no difference

ok i just realised it has a headphone jack so I could plug in a dummy jack but if I did that should I add some 8 ohm resistors across the output(s)?
(am not going to plug in my headphones, that bang will damage them)

Last edited:
I means the caps across the mains supply. If they had put them on the transformer side of the switch rather than the mains side then they would have exactly the same filtering effect when switched on but in addition stop the switch from arcing when switching off. Also, they would not be exposed to continuous mains voltage when the item is plugged in but switched off so they would probably last longer. Many mains caps gradually reduce in value as mains voltage spikes cause local erosion of the metal film. This makes them fail-safe (they don't short and go bang) but eventually ineffective.

just got round to doing this - works perfectly - thanks !
(silent on switch off and a polite pop a second later)

I have no idea if you're still on this forum but I'm having exactly the same problem with two MG15CD amplifiers, one far worse than the other, like a gunshot, (I'm assuming that reverb aside the circuits are the same?) and was wondering what value of cap to use?

If anyone else want to chime in with the best capacitor value and type, that'd be great.

Fit a 100nF 250v AC, Class X capacitor across the primary winding connection of the mains transformer and a 10nF 250v AC Class Y capacitor across the switch contacts. This will stop arcing if the mains switch and switch off surges to the TDA2050 amplifier.
Thanks for that, can get both of those locally. Fingers crossed it lessens if not removes the problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.