Marshall Valvestate mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quick (and long overdue) update. I tried a larger plate bias resistor and a cathode bypass cap.

I'm quite happy with the results. The amp I tried it in also had an EH 12ax7.

At lower volumes with roughtly bass 10, mids 3, treb 5, contour between 6 to 9, and on OD2 it gets a real nice almost big muff, smashing pumpkins sound with ringing harmonics. I have it loaned out at the moment so I haven't had a chance to try it louder.

When I get a chance I'll try to back to back it. I have an unmodified 8080 here, I will either back to back the pair, or better yet do a before and after on the unmodified amp.

I have an 8100. I might have to dig it out and play with it. I always found the distortion in it to be rather lacking any serious body. Strange that people are saying it's good for a death tone, because at the time I bought it, that's the sort of thing I was looking for and it always fell short, IMO...
In my experience at the time, during the mid-90's, I found the bigger 8200 stereo chorus version to have a much more intense distortion. Never sure why.

Anyone ever try messing with R95? It appears this is giving negative feedback to the first tube stage. Lowering this value might increase gain significantly.
I'd really like to try modding the tone control for deeper bass. That was always my complaint with this amp: no good deep lows. Maybe beef up the power supply? Other amps through the same speaker cab seemed to get much deeper.

Last edited:
Quick (and long overdue) update. I tried a larger plate bias resistor and a cathode bypass cap.

I'm quite happy with the results. The amp I tried it in also had an EH 12ax7.

At lower volumes with roughtly bass 10, mids 3, treb 5, contour between 6 to 9, and on OD2 it gets a real nice almost big muff, smashing pumpkins sound with ringing harmonics. I have it loaned out at the moment so I haven't had a chance to try it louder.

When I get a chance I'll try to back to back it. I have an unmodified 8080 here, I will either back to back the pair, or better yet do a before and after on the unmodified amp.

Awesome! Glad it worked out for you. I was wondering if you ever got around to tinkering with the amp ;) I love the EH 12ax7 in the DC coupled CF position in my amp, great sounding tube.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.