4x10 cabinet - ported or sealed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm part way through converting a 4x8" guitar cabinet into a 4x10" general purpose cabinet (read: guitar or bass use).

So, having run a couple of simulations in hornresp, I can see ported will give far more output. Vb=80L, Fb=~65Hz. The actual bass response looks usable, but not much more.
A sealed cabinet gives a smoother response, with a steady roll-off lower than 100Hz. It was, however, limited in low-end output, due to lack of volume displacement from the drivers.

I am partial to the sound of open backed guitar cabinets, so I was wondering if there was some way of having an easily removable back, and add ports to the back panel.

I haven't yet got the 4th driver yet, but have selected the cheapest big-name 10" midbass, which happened to be a Fane (will arrive tomorrow).
The others are an old Eminence Me10, an Alpha 10 with a fabric dustcap, and a McKenzie studio 10.

When that driver is installed, I'll try guitar and bass open and closed back, then contemplate ports.

Thoughts?

Pictures coming soon.
Chris

PS - yes, I gave up on the 6" driver: too much power needed to get where I want.

I did this with the intent of a porting the cabinet with My 6 X 6.5'.
But I ended up leaving it open backed as the thing was moving a lot of air and the box was much to small to even have a proper size port.

I was using a similar sized box.
I tried adjusting it by moving the back around creating a long rectangular port and I found that the pressure was so great that I just left it off and the back wave was put to better use coupling to the room better.

When the box was closed it just seemed compressed with no body to it as most sealed box do sound,IMO.

The result was a fuller sound open as expected it even held its own on outside gigs as well.
I used it on both the guitar and bass but it was mainly my bass rig.
I have described this setup before as it worked very well for me.

:cheers:

jer :)

Porting is a science. Open is good for fuller sound with guitar. Sealed is good for PA use or more bass with guitar. I made a half open half sealed back for my 4x10. It sounds like you are using a crossover so that may affect results of different sealing approaches.

As promised, here's a photo of what's inside so far.

I simply went for the cheapest speakers from reputable companies - some are second hand and I got those for next to nothing.

Total speaker cost: £70.

Going to try putting the back on when I work out how to get the connections right. Probably will go for a 4-pole speakOn, to make use of both channels of this amplifier.

I'm going to try playing with the back on for a while, see how I like the sound for bass guitar.

Chris

Attachments

• 410 small.jpg
    410 small.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 126
Right, for now the 2ch amplifier I was using for this has been re-installed in my stereo, so I'm using a 60w (at 4ohm, so I'm only getting 30w) guitar head.

Sounding a little bit warm at the moment, but plenty of oomph with the closed back: I don't think I'll be going ported any time soon.

Next thing to do is work out the characteristics of each speaker and decide (HELP!) which one to put where.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.