Stradivarius: in blind testing, virtuoso violin players can't pick them out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
These violins sound the way they do because the wood was grown during a mini-iceage and is very dense.
This has been known for years.

maybe halfway true, but I dont know

what I do know is that they/he built instruments with wood of all kinds of density
no two pieces of wood is never exactly the same anyway
thats his trick, to know how to handle whatever wood he used
which is why not all his instrument have same wood thickness
harder wood is made thin, and softer wood thicker
the trick is to know how much, and where
learned from experimenting, and building hundreds of instruments
they had the better wood, surely
and the skills

btw, from what I know, all instruments were made only for those rich enough to have their own orchestra

but what I find really remarkable is that the general shape of a violin hasnt changed one bit since then
imagine to build something so perfect that even several hundreds years later, no one have been able to improve the shape

the trick is to know how much, and where
learned from experimenting, and building hundreds of instruments
they had the better wood, surely
I agree with everything you wrote.

But we have something the old luthiers did not - we have instruments and technologies that can accurately measure fine details of the exact nature of the vibration in the violin parts, much more sensitively than the old tap-tones technique used in antiquity. With improved measurements like this, it is much easier to keep carving at a violin top until the measurements show that it vibrates in the proper way and at the proper frequencies to make a great violin.

I once attended a wonderful talk by a scientist who had spent years using laser interferometry, finite element analysis, physical modelling, and other modern technologies to study violin vibrations. He had also learned how to make violins himself, and he applied everything he learned from his scientific studies in the construction of his violins.

As tinitus said, each piece of wood had to be measured and carved individually, so that its vibrational frequencies and vibrational modes ended up at the correct values. The location of the sound-post connecting the top and bottom of the violin was also customised, it had to be at just the right location to couple just the right modes. The scientist had developed a sophisticated scientific understanding of all this, so if you gave him halfway decent woods and enough time, he could carve them to create a superb violin.

By the time he gave the talk I attended, the scientist had perfected the ability to make superb violins. He brought one he had made to the talk, along with a classically trained violinist friend. The friend said these modern violins were every bit as good as the Stradivarius violins he had played.

The scientist had also used everything he learned to make an intentionally bad violin. Here he deliberately tuned the top to the wrong frequencies, accentuated the wrong vibrational modes, and put the sound-post in the wrong location. The violin sounded thin, nasal, and unpleasant. This was one of his control experiments, used to verify his hypotheses about the factors that go into a good violin. Clearly he had got it right - the good violin was great, the bad one was awful, and both were created that way intentionally.

Unfortunately, I no longer remember the scientists name. It's been twenty years. It *may* have been this man, William F "Jack" Fry: William F. Fry: a physicist's quest for the 'secrets' of Stradivari

-Flieslikeabeagle

who knows
they are still valid today
and not forget a Fender bass

Now you are speaking in an area where I have some experience. The Fender Jazz and Precision basses have a serious dead spot around the 5th fret on the G string. The fundamental tone dies away very quickly leaving the 2nd harmonic and above. This makes the note sound very thin. It's not noticeable unless the mids are dipped really low by the amps EQ centered around 800 Hz.

The old Motown bass players used to lean the headstock against a wall to eliminate the dead spot. Leo Fender hired a consultant to solve the problem. The result was the larger headstock on basses starting about 1956 or so. It has something to do with the mass of the neck, string tention, trussrod and the mass of the body. A device is available that bolts onto the headstock to add mass. It doesn't work as well as I would like.

For about a year I tried to find basses that didn't have the dead spot. I bought a Rickenbacker bass thinking that because it had two truss rods, it wouldn't have a dead spot. It had two dead spots! Virtually every 34 inch scale bass with a bolt on neck has the dead spot. Basses with graphite necks don't have the dead spot, but they don't have the woody resonance of a Fender bass. I found a Kawai bass (Alembic knockoff with neck thru construction) that doesn't have the dead spot if the truss rod is adjusted just so. Hollow body basses and those with 30 inch scales tend to not have it.

Fender basses certainly have the iconic look that could withstand the test of time, but a high tech solution needs to be found this nagging little flaw.

While the study does not impress me in the slightest, the discussion does. There is no objective qualitative test to definitively determine "the best from the rest". I like Marshall, you like Fender. Meh.
And while I do disagree with a lot of the things said about the technical/mechanical sides here, they're irrelevant at the end o' the day.

...however...
How many guitarists here know they're instrument is out of tune?
No really, if you are playing a guitar with frets, I'm sorry that A you're playing is really Bbb (B double flat). And whilst on paper and in theory they are one and the same they are (were) in fact two completely different frequencies. You can thank Johann Sebastian Bach and his Well Tempered Klavier. Before that, his Klavier was causing nasty **** everywhere. Har-de-har-har.

Now for a twist. Whilst studying for an exam in my teens, coming to a tricky double/triple stop involving octave intervals (damn Barr chords lol) my teacher told me to play the upper octave very slightly flat otherwise they would sound out of tune. Wtf? Ok, so I do. And she was right. The upper octave must be slightly flat in order to remove the dissonance in the interval. Tested with a chromatic tuner with anologue/needle readout.

So, if our ears (brain really) cannot perceive an octave precisely, or most intervals for that matter, this study means...no need to spend $1M on a fiddle?
Besides, with so many string, bow, bridge, rosin, acoustic settings, and personal technique and playing style combinations to tinker with (yes, even a change of rosin on the bow can dramatically alter tone and timbre), why would I need to add more technical/mechanical doodads to my violin?

Tho a wammy bar would look *really* cool.

re:'How many guitarists here know they're instrument is out of tune?' - depends how long you've been playing, once it never bothered me, now it drives me crazy, particularly intonation on the B string. Sometimes you've just got to forget about it and play...
Listen to Hendrix live, his guitar was rarely in tune, he simply bent the notes to where he wanted them, & it worked...

Apart from the fact that the well tempered tuning is a compromise (evenly distributed errors) we further have the problem that strings don't behave like the theoretical ideal.
The first thing is that the different string thicknesses need slightly different string lengths for proper intonation . I.e. the "active length" of the low e- string is slighty longer than the high e-string on a guitar. And even then the adjustment is just a compromise.
Furthermore the overtones are not exact integer multiples of the fundamental. This can make cords sound raspy. And this is also the reason why the octaves on a piano for instance are lightly stretched or compressed (don't know the proper english expression for this) by the piano tuner.

Regards

Charles

Instruments are tremendously different and changes with time and grows when used...Instruments that are not played die and looses their sparkle....my daughter plays her piano almost every day, but at times she's withe her mother for a few days, and when she returns the piano is a little dull...and needs to be played....(not tuned, but played).

thats got nothing to do with the piano. its either in your perception, or her becoming familiar with the instrument again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.