Stradivarius: in blind testing, virtuoso violin players can't pick them out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While Torres was not the first to use this method he was the one who perfected the symmetrical design. To prove that it was the top, and not the back and sides of the guitar that gave the instrument its sound, in 1862 he built a guitar with back and sides of papier-mâché. (This guitar resides in the Museu de la Musica in Barcelona, and before the year 2000 it was restored to playable condition by the brothers Yagüe, Barcelona). [3]
Antonio Torres Jurado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Torres_Jurado#cite_note-2

Ah, but you left out the best part of the story. Torres introduced his new guitar in a Paris salon, playing it behind a curtain. When he finished playing, and the audience responded with cheers, he stepped out and flipped the guitar over to reveal the papier-mache construction.

From an unrelated article in today's Guardian (UK) newspaper:

" ... Andrew Hooker, an antique violin dealer and former auctioneer at Sotheby's, said that "only an imbecile" would buy a precious instrument without playing it first. "The whole point of a violin is how it sounds to the player. At Sotheby's I knew of Stradivariuses that were pronounced to be almost unplayable by well-known virtuosi, only for a different one to come in and buy it. The things are absolutely individual to the buyers and anyone who doesn't understand that really is naive." ..."

Regarding Mr. Curtin's latest advertising campaign, I'm sure Bose could concoct a 'blind test' in which their drivers were preferred to Lowthers.

Since Bose has a dip where the Lowthers may tend to peak and 'shout'(psycho-acoustically not a sound idea), I would not at all be surprised if this were the case without any trickery. Bose isn't that bad, and Lowther not that great imho.

vac

I liked no. 2 (the Strad) better for two reasons: 1) the first slow notes have much more texture, are more voice-like, and 2) the no.1 violin has some resonance at 2-3Khz I guestimate, which are slightly dominating to the point of becoming irritating, which the Strad does not have.

Also, apparently, there is no such thing as an unmodified original Strad. All copies known to exist have had the neck and fingerboard lengthened, the neck mortised, and have modifications to the tailpiece, bridge, pegs, and bass bar. Virtually all truly playable violins with genuine old-school origins were modified during the 18th/19th centuries to make them more usable in the larger symphonies that grew up at the time, in particular to make them louder.

Last edited:
Salvatore Accardo's reply to the tests

Maybe it is useful to read this great violinist reply (Accardo owns and plays one Guarnieri and one Stradivari). This is a fragment of an interview appeared in the italian newspaper "Repubblica" yesterday (forgive my bad translation):

"It is not right to try violins this way. It is necessary to try them in a concert hall and the judge must be the listener, not the player: it is not the sound near the player's ear to be judged. Violins sound must run and fill the whole hall. When I try a violins I always have a collegue with me......."

And so it sounds like the start of a joke:

Three violinists and three scientists walk into a concert hall to do a double-blind test ...

I don't think it is a matter of scientists again violinists. Accardo only states that the scientists did the wrong experiment: the evaluation of the instruments would have be done by the same violinists involved, but while listening in the middle of a concert hall.

Can you evaluate a loudspeaker with the ear at 3 inches from the drivers?

Hypothetical question: Did Mr. Strad use the techniques and materials he did because they are the best, or because they were the best available to him at the time? What would he think of modern instruments?

I suspect Mr Stad has a his ideal of violin as well as other makers.
If things have inproved with age over a few centuries, base it on luck rather planning. He was a few rare people who seems to have the gift for bringing
out the best from a block of wood with his hands and his ear.

I don't think it is a matter of scientists again violinists. Accardo only states that the scientists did the wrong experiment: the evaluation of the instruments would have be done by the same violinists involved, but while listening in the middle of a concert hall.

Can you evaluate a loudspeaker with the ear at 3 inches from the drivers?

Certainly a valid point although one suspects that top notch performers must have some faculty that helps them to interpret the nearfield response of the instrument in their hands as it relates to the sound for the audience. We all have experienced the "connection" that a great performer can make with the audience - it's hard to imagine that the performer is completely lacking active feedback in how the performance sounds out in the hall, otherwise how do they modulate their playing so in tune with the audience?

re"the judge must be the listener, not the player' - I don't agree, a player of any instrument must be happy with the responsiveness & sound of the instrument they are experiencing in the first place to produce good music, of course violins also have the additional need to project well.

Violins project beams of sound in different directions. The way these beams reflect from the walls of the hall and reach the listener are important to the tone of a Strad, or any 'good' violin. Hence, the suggestion that only a listener seated in the concert hall can judge a violin properly.

Note how Julia moves as she plays:
Vivaldi - The Four Seasons - Winter, Julia Fischer (HD) - YouTube

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I heard Gil Shaham and his Strad last year in a mid size local hall. It was amazing how well it filled the hall. And the tone was sublime. Was that Shaham, the Strad or both? I don't know, but it was quite a treat. I've never hear a violin sound as good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.