Ampro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
i like to tear up stuff and remake it. i'm searching for suggestions for a high powered all tube amp, maybe hifi or vintage pa. i need something that will work live for bass. here's what i have now, almost enough power for loud rehearsal, but just not there. 2-6v6's into a pair of 12's. all ampro.

Attachments

• resized ampro.jpg
    resized ampro.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 42
The problem with tube bass amps, is they need to be pretty ******** loud to play shows if you're at anything bigger than a coffee shop. I play in a reggae band, and we use a 100 watt bassman into 2x15's, and it gets gritty at medium sized shows.

Back in the day, if you needed to be all tube...you got an Ampeg VST...there really is no substitute. These will set you back like $1500 these days, but i saw a VST clone kit on Weber Amp's site earlier for $750...and now i'm considering building one.

i have a shuttle 3.0 and the two genz 10's for it, as well as a pair of 4x10's. i think what is infecting me is power tube saturation, not the single 12ax7 alone. or am i way off-power tubes don't drive? i really don't know, but i'll give a true tube pre (not a modeller) a try and see. size and weight are the reasons i've always used ss amps in the past, so i get it. i must say, tho, the tone i get from that little tube stack i built would be worth added weight, maintenence and worry to me to have it in a bigger package. and the traynor yba300 can be had for less than 1000, i just want the unique factor of a one-off vintage model resurrection/modded. something a theif would look past, too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.